MLD pros and cons.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MLD pros and cons.

I've been researching applying for the MLD program lately for a buddies of mines ranch and I'd figure I'd ask for opinions here as well since I know we have lots of MLD landowners here.

Deal is he owns 600 acres and has a high fence on one side. The other side is over 3000 acres of state owned property that only gets hunted a few times a year. There are more deer there than you can shake a stick at. Has anyone successfully applied for MLD? How long did it take?I am looking for the pros and cons as well.

Thanks for any help.

Can’t help much. I know there are probably some well meaning people on mlds but from what I’ve seen the state pretty much gives them full reign to do whatever they want. Not overseen very well. I know of 1 such person with almost 1500 acres, leases to 12 people and everybody gets one buck tag and 2 doe tags. In a 13” County but they don’t have to follow that rule and they rifle hunt from Oct 1 to the end of Feb. . Low fence. So no I don’t like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jen-Man View Post
      Can’t help much. I know there are probably some well meaning people on mlds but from what I’ve seen the state pretty much gives them full reign to do whatever they want. Not overseen very well. I know of 1 such person with almost 1500 acres, leases to 12 people and everybody gets one buck tag and 2 doe tags. In a 13” County but they don’t have to follow that rule and they rifle hunt from Oct 1 to the end of Feb. . Low fence. So no I don’t like them.

Why would it be any different if not MLD and the landowner still leased to 12 people besides the season length? Everyone still has buck tags on their license. At least under MLD the process of cutting jaw bones, aging and weighing each animal, and documenting brings a little accountability to the table.

I've personally seen it help allow landowners shoot deer that don't meet either antler restrictions or have massive numbers and not enough tags with hunters. I don't see many if any "cons" especially within the hill country. Currently on a lease that is MLD for the last 6yrs and the herd has nothing but improved every year. We still restrict October to bow only to keep things quite but late January and February is clean up time that no one seems to do while hunting regular season for that "one" deer.
      Last edited by Notaguide; 08-21-2018, 10:12 AM.

Comment

We are on the MLD Conservation program. I think they changed it up last yr due to the abuse. We got a new Biologist and she really seems like she wants to do things right. I like the extended season. Gives you more time to harvest the deer (does mostly) that needs to taken. We also see our bigger bucks late season as well.

Comment

550 acre place in coryell county... We are mld 3 and have been for... Idk 8 years now? Really there is no cons other than a little bit of work pre season and a little planning to set up. A good relationship with biologist is key, and a good biologist is also key. They basically make or break the thing... Also location, neighbors and size of place...

I have plenty of suggestions and lessons we have learned. To many to type, if you want to talk more, pm me and I'll give you my cell and we can have a real talk about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Notaguide View Post
            Why would it be any different if not MLD and the landowner still leased to 12 people besides the season length? Everyone still has buck tags on their license. At least under MLD the process of cutting jaw bones, aging and weighing each animal, and documenting brings a little accountability to the table.

I've personally seen it help allow landowners shoot deer that don't meet either antler restrictions or have massive numbers and not enough tags with hunters. I don't see many if any "cons" especially within the hill country. Currently on a lease that is MLD for the last 6yrs and the herd has nothing but improved every year. We still restrict October to bow only to keep things quite but late January and February is clean up time that no one seems to do while hunting regular season for that "one" deer.

Like I said, if used correctly it can be very good. But if not it can destroy a place. I saw the land owner shoot a 1.5 yr old 4 pt and call it a cull. Believe me when I say there are plenty of spikes there. Rifle hunting during oct. I see it as a step to remove archery season all together. On the refered place even the does went nocturnal due to the pressure. I hunted every week and saw a total of 4 deer. This is not Hill country or east Tx.. the biologist let the land owner age the deer and do the deer counts. I was on this over priced lease for one year. Killed one hog. I have lived in area a long time and this ranch used to be prime hunting. (The reason I got on) kid took over and down hill from there. All about the money. I’m sorry to rant on but these kinds of places exist. Also to many doe tags being issued. I have heard that insurance companies are pressuring P&W to get numbers down. I don’t have proof but sure seems like it where I live. 13 inch as done wonders for buck growth and potential but other than that I’m losing confidence in our P&W department. Again if someone uses the mld properly it’s a good thing but then if we’ve going to trust everyone to do the right thing let’s just open up deer season year round and give everybody as many doe permits as they need. Sorry just don’t think we need 5 months to get our deer. Good biologist and good hunters are great. But there are still some people that will take advantage of the system.

Comment

Some people like to whine about having to pull jaw bones and fill out the paperwork with each kill. I am not one of those people. Jawbones and paperwork are a small price to pay for a 5 month deer season, especially in east TX when the hunting gets BETTER in mid- to late-January.

Comment

Jen-Man, wasn't in disagreement with your personal experience. Like anything, there's always those that will abuse a situation. As a whole, I see the program beneficial. If I had to take a guess, those that are taking advantage were no different before the program. I'd much rather see MLD then antler restriction in our area. Seen way too many mature dominant deer still breeding that should have been removed.
                Last edited by Notaguide; 08-21-2018, 11:44 AM.

Comment

We've been on Level 3 for about 15 years. No cons really. We appreciate the extra time to hit our numbers. Although honesty after about the first or second week of January we are pretty tired, so we try to have everything done by then. Holler if you have questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Notaguide View Post
                    Jen-Man, wasn't in disagreement with your personal experience. Like anything, there's always those that will abuse a situation. As a whole, I see the program beneficial. If I had to take a guess, those that are taking advantage where no different before the program. I'd much rather see MLD then antler restriction in our area. Seen way too many mature dominant deer still breeding that should have been removed.

Agree. MLDs are not the sore spot for me. Just (Those) people. And I don’t want to lose my October archery season. Hey, sent you an email.

Comment

Following this. I've considered going this route ever since it began, but just never have.

Comment

Have several friends that have MLD properties and the ONLY negative a few of them have is, it allows the government into your personal business. Personally I dont feel as if TPWD is that much more intrusive if you are MLD or not, but I cant think of anything at all negative about going MLD

Comment

Only CON is on small acreage you may only get one or two buck tags and that is all you can legally kill. If you have three hunters and two tags, even if you see 3 monster 8 year old bucks you can only kill 2 of them if you only have 2 tags

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                            Only CON is on small acreage you may only get one or two buck tags and that is all you can legally kill. If you have three hunters and two tags, even if you see 3 monster 8 year old bucks you can only kill 2 of them if you only have 2 tags
                            Can you find out how many tags they allow you before you get a mld permit? I'd hate to go through everything and then them miscount the deer population and compound the problem. And is it True you have to use all your tags?

Thanks again

Comment

I think it takes a few years to get the permit.
                              At least when I talked with biologist that was my take along with him telling me for my area we would need to clear close to 1000 acres.

OP go on line at Texas parks and wildlife you can get the number to the biologist for your area.

I think tag count changes year by year on there survey.

Comment

Working...
                              X