change string?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

change string?

Since I'm going to need my pro-shop's help getting some work done anyway I was considering putting a new string on the Z7. I'm the second owner of the bow (bought it here about 5 years ago) and it looks to be in good condition to my eye.

Is there a general rule to replace "as needed" or "at a specific time/shot interval" whether it looks good or not?

Thanks, Art

Following this as this is to other opinions on this. I’ve always just put new strings on when the existing one was showing signs of wear.

Comment

If it's not frayed, leave it be. Just wax it every few months and it should be fine.

Comment

Mine was about 7 years old this year. I drew a tag for colorado and then couldnt get the thought of getting up there and a getting my hunt derailed because of a busted string. Mine looked to be in perfect shape but I figured it was time anyway. Maybe have your bow shop take a look at it and see if your bow is still in timing, if not then maybe it has stretched and time for some new ones.

Comment

You will notice a difference if you shoot allot.

Comment

I shoot a lot (when I am physically able) and change my strings every year. I use Bow String Depot but there are plenty of good string makers out there. Your shop probably has one they recommend.

Strings fraying, having peep twist, or you notice your draw length changing are all signs it's time to replace your strings.

Comment

The string is 5+ years old?

Imma 2 year max guy myself. Heading to NM in less than 40 days, so it was a no brainer for me to have Triple Edge re-string it. I'm not much of a gambler.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post

Imma 2 year max guy myself. Heading to NM in less than 40 days, so it was a no brainer for me to have Triple Edge re-string it. I'm not much of a gambler.
                ^^^ I’m in this crowd

Comment

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
                  I shoot a lot (when I am physically able) and change my strings every year. I use Bow String Depot but there are plenty of good string makers out there. Your shop probably has one they recommend.

Strings fraying, having peep twist, or you notice your draw length changing are all signs it's time to replace your strings.
                  Every year for me also

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post

I'm in the 2-3 year range too for the same reason. It's cheap insurance to have a new string on the bow and the old one in the bag in case something happens. At 5+ years, I'd be measuring to see if everything is still in specifications as I would imagine the string and cables have stretched quite a bit.

Comment

Manufacturers recommend you change out every year, but for the most part you should be safe for two.

Comment

def change the strings. 5 years is way long IMO.

Comment

Working...
                        X