Protein Feeder Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein Feeder Location

How many of you DON’T hunt over your protein feeders? I’m on a new place and want to start a feeding program. I have been thinking about this and if the ultimate goal was getting the deer to consume protein that it would be best to not pressure them. Do you think it makes a difference if your hunting over protein feeders or if you have them set up at “safe places” where there is no pressure. It seems the no pressure situation would be best as we know they become smart to feeders. Any thoughts or input appreciated.
    Thanks

I don't like hunting too close to mine, but do have a rifle blind about 100 yards away

Comment

Close to water, Near Good Bedding Areas, Central Property, and Highest Traffic Areas are All Key. Don't worry About the Hunting Part. Good Luck

Comment

Don't worry about hunting near the feeder, if pressured, the deer will go nocturnal. Doesn't take long. That is why I don't feed protein during the season.

Comment

I hunt some of my protein feeders. But not all of them.

Comment

If I am paying for the feed, I darn sure am going to sit and see what is eating it! Perhaps I don't hunt mine enough to see a difference, but the deer darn sure eat a lot. If it was where I was hutning I would build a pen, put your corn feeder next to your protein feeder. Hunt it however you want. Unless you sit in your blind every day of the season, I don't think it will matter. Then again the deer might get used to your smell/presence. Good luck, I stand by my original thought. Feed corn and protein from the same spot and hunt it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
              If I am paying for the feed, I darn sure am going to sit and see what is eating it! Perhaps I don't hunt mine enough to see a difference, but the deer darn sure eat a lot. If it was where I was hutning I would build a pen, put your corn feeder next to your protein feeder. Hunt it however you want. Unless you sit in your blind every day of the season, I don't think it will matter. Then again the deer might get used to your smell/presence. Good luck, I stand by my original thought. Feed corn and protein from the same spot and hunt it.
              This is what we do.

Comment

I have two stations on my place. One is no where near a blind and the other is about three hundred yards from a blind, however that is the blind that I hunt the least.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
                  I can understand wanting to hunt and see what’s coming to them with the amount of money it cost to feed. This is the way I see most setups.

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
                    I have two stations on my place. One is no where near a blind and the other is about three hundred yards from a blind, however that is the blind that I hunt the least.
                    If your avatar pic is from your place your method looks like its working!

Comment

I hunted my protein feeder one time and took a doe...deer went nocturnal at the feeder and never got another daytime pic. Very pressure sensitive at a feeder

Comment

Both of ours are in feed pens with the corn feeders and are within 100 yards of stands and in 2 of the most prolific spots on the property. They are hunted often and sometimes both are hunted at the same time day in and day out. It does not seem to affect them at all as we ALWAYS see deer at them almost every sit. Maybe not THE DEER you're after but you see deer of all age classes, genders and specie most every time

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                          I hunted my protein feeder one time and took a doe...deer went nocturnal at the feeder and never got another daytime pic. Very pressure sensitive at a feeder
                          I rarely have daytime pics of deer at the protein feeders. 95+% of the pictures are at night even where there is no hunting pressure.

Comment

My advice to you if you can afford it, buy a timed release feeder to put at your hunting location and put a 2000lb free choice near water. Feed both feeders in the off season and run the timed release during season. Best of both worlds

Comment

This is very interesting.

Comment

Working...
                              X