Parenting Input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blake8504 View Post
    haha, Exactly. I even was talking to him about it yesterday seeing if he wanted to go. He ended up saying "will you get my baseball stuff down so I can hit"
    That young man is wise beyond his years.

Baseball > soccer any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Take him hunting in the fall while those other kids are running back and forth kicking each other in the shins and never scoring all day.

Then, when spring rolls back around, sign up to coach his baseball team again.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
      Was this your wife's idea?
      No, lol. It was more or less he can play soccer, lets see how it goes. He played and enjoyed baseball, we figured we'd try another sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Blake8504 View Post
        No, lol. It was more or less he can play soccer, lets see how it goes. He played and enjoyed baseball, we figured we'd try another sport.
        soccers not a sport. its a girls recess activity adopted by the europeans than cant hit a baseball.

jmo

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
          soccers not a sport. its a girls recess activity adopted by the europeans than cant hit a baseball.

jmo

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji88][emoji88]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by howabouttheiris View Post
            My 2 cents.... 4 year olds don't get to decide what is best for them.

My thought is he might be nervous, or scared. I would go and stay there with him. I would think they dont put too much pressure on a 4 year old soccer team. I would make him try it for just a while. If he does not like it you will never ask him again to play.

Comment

thats true

Comment

Don't forget dad, especially at 4, it doesn't have to be organized sports either. You making time to get in the yard and catch, pitch, kick etc... goes a long ways. I played organized sports from 6 to 21 years old. Traveled all over the country, met great people and got to experience things a lot of people don't. You ask what my greatest memories of sports are and I will tell you playing catch with my dad in the back yard and he never played a sport growing up or had any interest in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
                  I wouldn't force him if he doesn't want to do it. Let him pick the sports or activities he wants to participate in. If he liked T-ball then that can be his sport for now. As he grows and matures he may have other interest, mine were baseball and fishing and hunting. He may be 6 foot tall in the 7th grade and be a star basketball player, but again a disagree with forcing him into a sport. I see so many of these select baseball parents who are completely nuts trying to relive their childhood through their children. Bad Idea!!
                  Well said

As for my opinion...the age of 4 is a little too young to have the "you chose to do this, so by God I'll make you finish it" speech I mean, they're still at the age where they wait till the last minute to decide "ya know, I may wanna go empty my bowels in the toilet versus my pan... OH NO, I'M POOPING MY PANTS!!"

Comment

at 4 I'd only have him do something fun he's enjoying. When he wants to play another sport, then encourage him to stick with his commitment. He's real young yet....just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by TxDispatcher View Post
                      Well said

As for my opinion...the age of 4 is a little too young to have the "you chose to do this, so by God I'll make you finish it" speech I mean, they're still at the age where they wait till the last minute to decide "ya know, I may wanna go empty my bowels in the toilet versus my pan... OH NO, I'M POOPING MY PANTS!!"
                      This is true!! while on vacation this past weekend, in the middle of restaurant, I see him holding his pants/backside. I ask what happened and he said, "I tried to suck it back in, but I wasn't fast enough"...

Comment

4 Year olds soccer is a train wreck anyway, I'm glad we're done with soccer all together now at 7.

Take him fishing, hit balls, shoot a bb gun, get him some golf clubs....you'll win in the long run.

Comment

My daughter is 5 and starting soccer this year. She seems very hesitant but I am hoping that she will at least get out of the truck and look around...maybe kick a ball. Really, I just want her to make some friends and run around having fun. Her team, The Unicorns, will be coached by the Varsity Girls soccer coach at Benbrook High School. Hang in there Dad.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                            Way too young to force into a sport
                            Yes and for that matter I would never force my kid to play a sport. I would find what they are interested in and have them focus on that

Comment

I would encourage both of you to get involved. Sign up to be an assistant or at least a helper to get involved as well. You'll both get way more out of it! I knew nothing either and got the arm twist to coach. First game was a train wreck but we had kids from 4 - 6. Big difference in development between those ages and experience. Did it until I got divorced and they moved away. Enjoyed more than I ever imagined. Never regretted it. And yes, you will be a coach to them the rest of your life.

On the other side, I think we start our kids way to early into sports and way too hard. Same for academics later on. They just need time to enjoy being a kid.

Comment

My sons first tee ball team had a couple kids that didn't want to play. Parents made them show up and kick dirt around on the field. No interest or desire to play. It was only a distraction to the kids that wanted to play. Don't be that parent.

Comment

Working...
                                X