Solar power for remote cabin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife and I purchased some land in Colorado, no power etc, available. Want to build cabins and have hot water,etc for basic showers etc. Need basic lights etc. Any advice on websites, companies, etc, appreciated.

There was a guy on here awhile back that had a real good thread on solar panels and their use. I bought one of those shower kits that runs off propane from cabelas. Works great.

Comment

I would consider a propane generator.

Comment

Use propane for heat and cooking, solar for lights and charging devices. Figure out how many watts you will need and call renogy. There is a lot of great info on off grid living on Utube as well.

Comment

At my cabin in Wisconsin we have this system.

This powers the lights and other small loads.

I also have a generator. The generator runs the well, microwave, my wife's hair dryer etc. We have a propane tank. The propane does the tankless water heater. The generator I have can run on propane too. I have a modified Honda 6500 watt and a Champion as back up.

I put in some transfer switches that switch things back and forth automatically. I think the ones I have are from a company called Power Max.

Comment

Watch and record Buying Alaska...seems MOST are dealing with the same thing. No experience with this, just in for the pics!

Comment

I have done several personal solar installs, in fact, our RV is capable of 100% off-grid comfort. There are a couple good threads on here about solar and what can be done and average cost. If you hit a snag, shoot me a PM.

All the best and God Bless,

Michael

Comment

Search the DIY section.

Lots of people running full or partial solar setups.

A lot will depend on how big your plans are.

I have a 250sf building that can run 100% solar other than when I run my window unit A.C.

I have 2 Honda 2000i generators which can be run in parallel for more power. Very portable, quiet, and dependable.

I realize you're probably looking to do something bigger than my setup but the fundamentals are all the same.

Comment

We can and do run our AC on solar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tagging.

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
                      We can and do run our AC on solar

How long can you run your AC for and at what temp?

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                        How long can you run your AC for and at what temp?

During peak sun, I can run the AC non stop. We generally keep the AC on 73*. The key is your battery storage capacity and the quality of batteries!!!

Comment

Wow impressive. Might have to look into that. My 5500 generator is only good for about 5 1/2 hrs in the hot Webb county heat. I go through some fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
                            During peak sun, I can run the AC non stop. We generally keep the AC on 73*. The key is your battery storage capacity and the quality of batteries!!!

That surprises me that you can run your AC at all, how many watts is your solar power system? It all comes down to the battery bank right? How many batteries do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
                              That surprises me that you can run your AC at all, how many watts is your solar power system? It all comes down to the battery bank right? How many batteries do you have?

I have a total of 1,500 watts of solar and 900aH of battery capacity. We love boondocking and built our system accordingly. I really get tickled when folks walk by at night and we are outside having a drink with the TV and AC on inside. I can hear them asking each other where our generator is and how is it completely quiet 🤣

Comment

Working...
                              X