Yard sale score from this weekend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$15 for two bows. The Samick Shadow is worth that 10 times over. It just so happens I got a 10 year old son who it will be perfect for. Lancaster is sending out a string for eleven bucks so it will be up and running soon. The other one is unmarked and I’m not sure what to make of it or if it is even safe to string up. Any guesses on wood etc. would be great.

Cheers.

-------------------------------
    Violence never settles anything
    -Genghis Kahn

All I can say is jealous! Man what a find!

Comment

The Samick is in perfect condition. I can’t tell if the other is a self bow or a novelty item.

-Genghis Kahn

Comment

Paul, that selfbow is really cool! My guess on the wood would be Osage (Bois d’ Arc). You can string it up, but those all wood bows tend to be pretty particular about what they like. Don’t just yank it back to full draw. The first time you shoot it, exercise it to full draw a little at a time, like first to 20” or so, then 24” then 26”, then to full draw. Do the same thing after it has been stored for any length of time. Also, with any selfbow, if you are not shooting it, unstring it. Selfbows are mostly pretty finicky. They tend to accentuate mistakes. Keep learning in your glass bow. If you really get into trad like the rest of us, you will be wanting to shoot that selfbow soon enough!!!!

Also, not knowing anything about the origin of the bow, or who made it, you may want to stick with a Dacron (B50 or B55) string.

Great snag!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Last edited by Bisch; 05-07-2018, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info Bisch. I was hoping it was Osage. I may just take it over to Charlie B and have him look it over and make a string for it.

Comment

Very nice find!

Comment

Great find!!!

Comment

I’m not 100% sure on the osage, but that is a predominant selfbow wood. Let Charlie look at it, or Bob. He knows his woods!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Dang! Why do so many other people have luck with garage sales... never had these kinds of finds.

That samick is a steal and a good find.

My first guess at the self bow was that is probably osage... osage turns dark like that on its own. but I am not an expert my any means.

Comment

the pin knots in the snaky self bow make me think it is bodark. a lot of work went into that bow by someone. a treasure for sure. great find!

Comment

Cool bows! I hope your boy enjoys shooting.

Comment

That self bow is something else! My first thought was well aged osage. Lucky find!

Comment

Here’s a dumb question for y’all. Once I get a string on the selfbow, does the arrow go on or against the leather above the handle?

-Genghis Kahn

Comment

If you can find someone with a tillering tree I would have them draw that selfbow a few times from a distance to determine a safe draw length. Those knots can add great character to a bow but also be an instant producer of wooden shrapnel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                              Here’s a dumb question for y’all. Once I get a string on the selfbow, does the arrow go on or against the leather above the handle?

-Genghis Kahn
                              Looks like on. If you want to measure it nock to nock I will make you b50 string. I have lots of it. No charge just let me know.

Comment

Working...
                              X