No announcement yet.

Land Ag Exemption (i.e. Ag appraisal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unless the rules recently changed, you can't get a wildlife exemption until its been under ag exemption.

Comment

Originally posted by Full Throttle View Post
      Interesting. What type of trees are on the place? As fast as mesquites grow,I wonder if this is a viable option for those of us out west. Do you have to show income or trees that were cut for firewood? I hate dealing with cows and would love to do either hay or timber instead.
      Pine, Red Oak, and White Oak. I’ve never had to show or prove any type of sale...but they sometimes send a “survey” and they would like it filled out.

Comment

Originally posted by clffrdfdge View Post
        So the ag exemption was under your name or the neighbors? Appraisal district told us to start it under our name when we leased to the neighbor so we would have the history of the ag exemption other wise if under the leaser it would revert back soon as they didn’t lease anymore. Also the land can lay for 2 years to recover from drought over grazing etc. I hate the tax people!!!
        Ag exemption has to be under owners name. If it is leased or used by a neighbor, the county could ask for them to sign something also, but the owner is still responsible for the exemption. If we are allowed to keep ours, we will be moving it over into wildlife use to prevent these issues in the future.

Comment

Hay production is the easiest way to obtain and keep the agricultural special tax evaluation. At least in my general area. You will need to work directly with your county on obtaining it. Like has been stated above, you might be able to get some paperwork signed by some neighbors or past owners to speed up the process. What a lot of people do that I know is contact a farmer/rancher in the immediate area of the subject property and work out a deal with him. Most of the time w/ smaller tracts, the rancher cuts, maintains, fertilizes, harvest, etc etc and keeps the hay and no charge. In return, the property owners gets the special tax valuation.

Comment

Originally posted by Birddog66 View Post
            Hay production is the easiest way to obtain and keep the agricultural special tax evaluation. At least in my general area. You will need to work directly with your county on obtaining it. Like has been stated above, you might be able to get some paperwork signed by some neighbors or past owners to speed up the process. What a lot of people do that I know is contact a farmer/rancher in the immediate area of the subject property and work out a deal with him. Most of the time w/ smaller tracts, the rancher cuts, maintains, fertilizes, harvest, etc etc and keeps the hay and no charge. In return, the property owners gets the special tax valuation.
            I have 60 acres and only about 40% is native pasture (scattered - not one big field). The rest is heavily wooded. I’m guessing I’d need to clear most of the trees/brush, right? Being Texas Hill Country, its also pretty hilly with some steep ravines. Not sure it will work but worth looking into.

Comment

I switched from Ag to wildlife after a neighboring tract sold and I lost my water access for the cows. I would see if you could get a neighbor to run cows on your proeprty and maintain your fences. They could set up a water tank and even tote water if they had too.

For what it is worth I would reach out to the guys at the appraisal district and see what their temperature is. Maybe even go and meet with them. They hold a lot of swing in the process, I lucked out and my guy seems to pretty helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by LUCKY AGAIN View Post
                Unless the rules recently changed, you can't get a wildlife exemption until its been under ag exemption.
                ^This right here is the truth!

Comment

Originally posted by LUCKY AGAIN View Post
                  This is true for most counties, if not all. I think 5 years is the general number for years in ag., before wild life. Again, a lot of these regs can vary from County to County.

Originally posted by Mastro View Post
                  I have 60 acres and only about 40% is native pasture (scattered - not one big field). The rest is heavily wooded. I’m guessing I’d need to clear most of the trees/brush, right? Being Texas Hill Country, its also pretty hilly with some steep ravines. Not sure it will work but worth looking into.
                  Sounds like running a few head of cattle would be your best bet w/out laying my own eyes on the place. Is that a possibility?

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
                    I switched from Ag to wildlife after a neighboring tract sold and I lost my water access for the cows. I would see if you could get a neighbor to run cows on your proeprty and maintain your fences. They could set up a water tank and even tote water if they had too.

For what it is worth I would reach out to the guys at the appraisal district and see what their temperature is. Maybe even go and meet with them. They hold a lot of swing in the process, I lucked out and my guy seems to pretty helpful.
                    I stopped reading all the responses after this one because it make's sense from experience! Go to your appraisal district and simply sit down with someone and ask WHAT you have to do? There are options, but counties differ so get the facts from those who appraise?? When I had my 25 acres in Hood County, initially it was NOT Ag exempt, but just put the $$ figures out there and it is well worth pursuing it!!! I did not ask for advice on any forum, but went to the district and maybe just fortunate...but had great advice and followed it to a T and saved MANY $$! I had coastal grass then fenced and put 3 knot head geldings on and there it was...ag exempt granted. I maintained the exemption by making documented improvements...fixing fences, etc., and never had any question come up.

NOT saying any of the responses are wrong, but this is what worked for me personally. Research and TALK to those who make the decisions that can reduce your taxes...Good luck!!
                    Last edited by kumathebear; 01-17-2018, 06:17 PM.

Comment

In process of buying 35 acres, has 7-8 acres of pasture in front but rest is timber with creek running through it. Currently does not have the Ag-exemption on any of it.
                      Would be easy enough in getting the Ag started on the pasture portion but what about the timber part? Not really interested in putting cattle or horses on it either.

Comment

I know a who can write you a plan to turn over to the county if you would like

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Thankful my previous landowner had AG for several years so I could qualify for Wildlife!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                            In process of buying 35 acres, has 7-8 acres of pasture in front but rest is timber with creek running through it. Currently does not have the Ag-exemption on any of it.
                            Would be easy enough in getting the Ag started on the pasture portion but what about the timber part? Not really interested in putting cattle or horses on it either.
                            Low fence it and put a few goats, sheep or even black buck.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                              Thankful my previous landowner had AG for several years so I could qualify for Wildlife!
                              Did you do your own plan or have someone help with it? Looking at doing the same process and don't want to mess it up by ticking off the county folks...

Comment

Just have a small stock pond made from the small creek.
                                Lease for cows and require in the lease fences are repaired and maintained.

Comment

Working...
                                X