Things to do in Boston?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things to do in Boston?

I'll be in Boston on business for three days in August (24,25,26), the wife is accompanying me and we need some suggestions on things to do & see. We'll be staying @ the quaint Charlesmark Hotel, SW of downtown. We're arriving Thursday afternoon & departing early Sunday AM. Local food is high on the list; oysters, chowder, lobster.....what are the best places?

If you're into baseball at all go and watch a sox game. Fenway is a cool stadium to watch a game.

Comment

Go see the USS Constitution, decent aquarium, Old North Church, go to Salem and walk around, Glouchester is about a 40 minute ride north (get some good seafood and watch the boats come in to unload, Kennedy Presidential library (I didn't think I'd enjoy that, but I did), Legal Seafood is ok, ask the locals for the best seafood place.

Comment

Fenway park for a Boston game. Park is full of history. Freedom trail is awesome to say the least!!! And it's free! Bell in the Hand Tavern is a great place to get a beer. Oldest tavern in the US and is on the freedoms trail. The freedom train can easily take up a day and truly is a lot of fun. All the old cemeteries are great. You can't screw up the trail since there are literally old bricks laid in the sidewalk and street that guide you. Old north church with the history of Paul revere was great. The churches are amazing and historical. Depending on what's in season, striper fishing or tuna fishing may be something else to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
          If you're into baseball at all go and watch a sox game. Fenway is a cool stadium to watch a game.
          Bought a pair earlier off Stub-Hub.

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
          Go see the USS Constitution, decent aquarium, Old North Church, go to Salem and walk around, Glouchester is about a 40 minute ride north (get some good seafood and watch the boats come in to unload, Kennedy Presidential library (I didn't think I'd enjoy that, but I did), Legal Seafood is ok, ask the locals for the best seafood place.
          Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
          Fenway park for a Boston game. Park is full of history. Freedom trail is awesome to say the least!!! And it's free! Bell in the Hand Tavern is a great place to get a beer. Oldest tavern in the US and is on the freedoms trail. The freedom train can easily take up a day and truly is a lot of fun. All the old cemeteries are great. You can't screw up the trail since there are literally old bricks laid in the sidewalk and street that guide you. Old north church with the history of Paul revere was great. The churches are amazing and historical. Depending on what's in season, striper fishing or tuna fishing may be something else to do.
          Thanks guys, I'll check it out

Comment

You MUST go to a restaurant called Pappa Razzi's. Best Italian food I have ever had (yes, better than that down on restaurant row) and NOTHING like we have in Texas. Also, go to Mike's Pastry's and grab a cannoli. Worth the wait for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by TxDieselKid View Post
              You MUST go to a restaurant called Pappa Razzi's. Best Italian food I have ever had (yes, better than that down on restaurant row) and NOTHING like we have in Texas. Also, go to Mike's Pastry's and grab a cannoli. Worth the wait for sure.
              There's a Papa Razzi Trattoria Italian Restaurant 20 yards behind my hotel. Is this it?

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
                There's a Papa Razzi Trattoria Italian Restaurant 20 yards behind my hotel. Is this it?
                That's the one. Be sure to check out the finish line for the Boston Marathon, they have a special place where the bombings happen. Very cool to see in real life. Spend some time just down the street at Boston Common, it's so beautiful. Stay away from Copley Square at night, lots of homeless sleep there.

Everyone will say Boston Legal for seafood, and it is good. If you go just make sure you have something local, not generic like "salmon" or something like that. I suggest going somewhere NOT "touristy" and getting lobster.

Comment

Here's the spot...
                  Last edited by TxDieselKid; 07-26-2017, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Regina's Pizzaria...you may stand in line in the evening...the line is outside and down the street...craziest thing i have seen. Good stuff!

Comment

James Hook and Co...best lobster rolls...the bomb!

Comment

Glad I got on the green screen. I'll be coming home the 24th. Going to check Sox/Yankee game, bucket list. Planned on the freedom trail. Now with a stop at the tavern. Marathon will be another stop. I'll be following. Have fun and enjoy Boston.

Comment

I got a idea Jeff enjoy your time.

I would love to visit Boston.

Be sure and get some baked beans. Lol.

Comment

Go to Mike's and get a few cannoli's. I've eaten at several places in the North End and enjoyed every single one.

Comment

My wife and I just moved back from a 3 year stint in Boston. You're staying in a great area - it's called Back Bay. We lived a few blocks from your hotel.

Charles River Esplanade: Walk a few blocks up Dartmouth street to the Charles River Esplanade. It is a really scenic "barrier island" in the Charles River that is great for a stroll with the wife. There are several pedestrian bridges you can use to cross Storrow drive just after crossing Beacon street.

Newbury Street Shopping: A two block walk from your hotel. The wife will love it (though your bank account may not)! It's the 5th Avenue of Boston. Consider heading east on Newbury as it will end at the Boston Commons, which is Boston's version of Central Park. There is a great restaurant for lunch or a late breakfast near where Newbury hits the Boston Commons called Parish Cafe. Specifically, it is a block south of Newbury on Boylston Street near Arlington Street.

Beacon Hill: If your legs are still feeling up to it, just north of the Boston Commons is Beacon Hill, a very old-Boston-feeling historical area home to the State House (very iconic Boston building with a gold dome). You'll feel like Paul Revere may ride by at any minute in this neighborhood.

The North End: A short uber or cab ride away, this is Boston's version of Little Italy. I saw Papparazzi mentioned above, and no offense to TDK, but as a local I highly suggest getting your Italian fix at any of the restaurants in the North End*. The neighborhood has an amazing vibe, let yourself get lost on the side streets here. Hit Mike's Pasty for a cannoli after dinner. If it is crowded just nudge your way up to the counter, you'll be served faster than you'd expect.

* For that matter, note that Back Bay is really lacking on good restaurants relative to other close by neighborhoods in Boston. Resist the temptation to eat near your hotel. You'll do well at the specific restaurants mentioned in my post, as well as generally in the North End (italian) and the South End along Tremont street (everything).

Aquarium Area: Not an official name, I'm just calling it that. A very short walk south from the North End is the aquarium, which is worth a visit if you have time. Better still, wander along the waterfront - a pedestrian path called the Harborwalk runs along the waterfront for quite a ways.

Oysters: Between you and Fenway is a neighborhood called Kenmore that is home to the best raw bar in Boston called Island Creek Oyster Bar. Alternatives for great oysters include Island Creek's sister restaurant called Row 34 (Seaport neighborhood) and B&G Oysters (South End neighborhood). You really cannot go wrong with any of these three restaurants for your raw bar fix. These will be pricey dinners.

Lobster Rolls: Many good places, including those listed for oysters. If you are looking for a really great lobster roll at a good price in a no frills setting, go to Yankee Lobster at the east end of the Seaport Neighborhood. Bonus is that Yankee is right next to the Harpoon Brewery, which has a beer hall and tours. Oh, and wherever you go, don't get the "cold" lobster roll which is essentially mayo-based lobster salad. Instead, get the "warm" lobster roll which is lump lobster meat with some melted butter. Dang, I'm hungry now!

Chowder: I'm no expert on this. I will say I had a very good bowl of it at Legal Seafood one time though. Legal is kind of a chain up there, but really is a solid place for seafood. There is one near you in the Prudential Center ("The Pru"), but there is a better one in the Seaport neighborhood - top floor is a bar and sushi-only menu with amazing views of the harbor, and bottom floor is full restaurant with great views too if you can get near the window. My favorite at Legal is the Portuguese fisherman's stew.

Beers: There is a surprising EXCELLENT local beer scene in Boston if that is up your alley. Consider anything from Trillium, Allagash, Night Shift, Idle Hands, and Maine Beer Company. You will see Harpoon IPA and Sam Adams Boston Lager on tap everywhere too the way you'll see Shiner on tap in Texas.

Duck Boat Tour: Touristy, but a great way to get an initial feel for the city. Duck boats are those amphibious boats that drive on the street but then run like a boat in the water. You'll learn a lot and see a lot. I like doing this sort of thing near the beginning of a trip to a new city as it gives you an idea of neighborhoods you want to go further explore the rest of the trip.

That's all I've got at the moment, but feel free to PM me with any questions. Enjoy!
                              Last edited by FeetDown; 07-26-2017, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X