Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking the Plunge into Traditional Archery! Need Advice

Hi Guys!
    I've been a compound shooter for 7 years now, and I'm excited to get into Traditional/Recurve archery. I have a "survival bow" that I've been playing around with, and it's a lot of fun to shoot, but I'm ready to go in and get an actual recurve to shoot. I know it will be a blast and I'm ready to learn how to shoot instinctively.

I've been looking a lot online for a decent entry level trad bow around the $100 mark. I've heard good things about the Samick Sage (available on Amazon). I also am a Bear shooter (all my compounds are Bears) and I like PSE as well. Any suggestions on a good, entry level trad bow? I'd mostly be 3d shooting with it, and occasionally hunting with it when I get good enough. But mostly target shooting in the backyard.

Also, a question on draw weight: I typically shoot 50 pounds DW on my compound, I figured a 30 or 35 pound trad bow DW would be fun enough to shoot without getting fatigued too early on while learning? What do you think?

Final question: Arrows! What type of arrows do I need to use? I know i can get carbon arrows with feather fletchings for a recurve. Is it necessary to get wooden arrows with feather fletchings for shooting a recurve?

Thank you in advance for any advice you might have!!

I would recommend a 35 pound sage and get a new string from someone who makes good strings like tenring or sbd etc. get some 600 spine carbons left full length at first and some 175-225 grain field points with standard inserts. Work on your form and technique for a few months and then start tuning your set up. Tuning with flawed form and technique is futile. Just my 2 cents but if you want to gain accuracy faster shoot 3 under and learn to gap shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Look on Amazon at Black Hunter"s, they go by different names also.

Comment

Black hunter is a great way to go as well

Comment

Read the stickies on this page.

Gary

Comment

I have a 40lb Sage (like new) that I'll sell you for $100. I will throw in a few arrows as well. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.
            Ben

Comment

Originally posted by caughtandhobble View Post
              I have a 40lb Sage (like new) that I'll sell you for $100. I will throw in a few arrows as well. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.
              Ben

Did the OP take you up on this? Been looking for something at that price, poundage, and a few arrows to play around with!

Comment

Ben will fix you up. Great guy too. Arvin

Comment

Better give getting a side hustle going to help pay for all those things your wondering about! Upgrading here and there, different arrows for here or there, then the accessories for it all.

Comment

Pickup a Black hunter, cant go wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X