How old is this buck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How old is this buck?

Back in mid October this buck came into a bow blind I was hunting in Western Goliad County. I had no previous TC pics of him and immediately thought he was mature. Was kind of ribby and thin looking at the time. Saggy skin on the neck, poor antler growth, poor body condtion and bugged eyed. I pulled TC cards that morning and had a few pics of him that night in the feed pen. I continued to get TC pics of him but did not see him again till this week. I took some pics of him. I would have shot him in archery if he had an unbranched antler that day.
    Here are few pics from this week.
    Last edited by texashunter56; 01-10-2018, 09:00 PM.

4.5 or 10.5

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
      4.5 or 10.5

Old enough!

Comment

Too old

Comment

After seeing this buck I tried to find pics of him from last year. The way he walked got me to thinking about a buck I had seen the same feeder late last season that walked the same way. Especially have he had heard a gun shot. These pics were taken in the spots he was at in late December last year. He has a small notch or nick in the right ear so I know it is him now.

Comment

The first pics are an old deer. Today's pictures are a different deer. 3.5. A lot of deer will have little notches on their ears from getting into fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
              The first pics are an old deer. Today's pictures are a different deer. 3.5. A lot of deer will have little notches on their ears from getting into fights.
              Sure they do get notches. I have seen does and fawns here with notches. Never in the exact spot on two different deer of the same age. But this is the same buck here are pics from last year in Nov, late Dec in one pic and this year in Nov. Other pics above are same buck in late Dec last year after he had been shot and wounded.

Comment

I hunt in the same area as you, I would guess him 4.5 compared to the deer I see. Unfortunately he wont make the 13' rule the way he is now nor the spike status. DANG....

Comment

Awesome pics

Comment

Working...
                  X