Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-07-2017, 09:30 AM   #1
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Jack/Coleman/Henderson
Default Killing Bobcats

So far this season I have taken 2 and missed 1. Posted online and both times bashed by a couple friends/non hunters in person who seen the post. Yes they are beautiful creatures but they not only hurt quail, turkey, squirrel, rabbits but also deer. This cat here is a big cat (I did not shoot it). I took one Saturday this size and ended up missing another from the same setup Sunday. No different than coyotes they are powerful predators and fast! I prefer to see deer roaming my place over anything and any opportunity I get to take a shot at a bobcat I will!

Back in October I had deer blowing upwind of me. I knew they weren't blowing at me but figured maybe they had seen my truck and alerted every other deer around. Not 5 minutes later squirrels starting barking and I decided to look behind me. Sure enough here come a Bobcat sneaking up. Every move I made it became more curious. Fortunately I was able to get an arrow through it at 15yds. Was it after a deer before no telling but I know I don't have to worry about it. I'm covered with cats at my place and still know of 3 throughout the property. May be time to set a few traps as well.

Do you shoot cats every chance or pass?
Attached Images

Antlers86 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 09:31 AM   #2
mfarmer
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Saba

man I would like to see that video
mfarmer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 09:32 AM   #3
TXBowhunter11
Ten Point

Hunt In: Seymour, Wichita Falls, Megargel

I will never pass a shot on a bobcat
TXBowhunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 09:33 AM   #4
catslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBowhunter11 View Post
I will never pass a shot on a bobcat
Don't pass on yotes or cats
catslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #5
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarmer View Post
man I would like to see that video
Me too! 903 outdoors posted asking to see it. Hope he post it.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #6
TXBowhunter11
Ten Point

Hunt In: Seymour, Wichita Falls, Megargel

Quote:
Originally Posted by catslayer View Post
& hogs!
TXBowhunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 09:35 AM   #7
Acostades
Ten Point

Hunt In: junction tx

Plano has bobcats. Come over Jason and our neighbors won't hate one bit. Good harvest
Acostades is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 09:37 AM   #8
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlers86 View Post
So far this season I have taken 2 and missed 1. Posted online and both times bashed by a couple friends/non hunters in person who seen the post. Yes they are beautiful creatures but they not only hurt quail, turkey, squirrel, rabbits but also deer. This cat here is a big cat (I did not shoot it). I took one Saturday this size and ended up missing another from the same setup Sunday. No different than coyotes they are powerful predators and fast! I prefer to see deer roaming my place over anything and any opportunity I get to take a shot at a bobcat I will!

Back in October I had deer blowing upwind of me. I knew they weren't blowing at me but figured maybe they had seen my truck and alerted every other deer around. Not 5 minutes later squirrels starting barking and I decided to look behind me. Sure enough here come a Bobcat sneaking up. Every move I made it became more curious. Fortunately I was able to get an arrow through it at 15yds. Was it after a deer before no telling but I know I don't have to worry about it. I'm covered with cats at my place and still know of 3 throughout the property. May be time to set a few traps as well.

Do you shoot cats every chance or pass?

I was hunting in Irion County several years ago and watched a bobcat run down the hill and jump on the back of a small doe that wasn't fast enough to get away. She dropped her butt to the ground and swung that cat off. The cat rolled, sat up, and I whacked him with my 7 mag. Made a beautiful rug.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 09:38 AM   #9
randal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Crowell

I shot one bob cat to get mounted but didn't know I had to get it frozen pretty quick and the taxi couldn't do it. I will shoot one more to mount then i will give bob cats a pass.. I don't really care to shoot them other than for a mount but doesn't bug me when people do..
randal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 09:40 AM   #10
Clay C
Ten Point

I won't shoot them, but have no problem with people who do. Just a personal preference.

Sounds like you need some new friends OP.
Clay C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 09:40 AM   #11
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hempstead, TX

I don't shoot them but I don't have many (saw one in 7 yrs of hunting my place) so I don't have to worry about them much.

If I had a bunch, I would thin them.

Last edited by TXHUNT3R; 11-07-2017 at 09:48 AM.
TXHUNT3R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 09:42 AM   #12
kruppa24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Concho

choot em every time
kruppa24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 09:42 AM   #13
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by randal View Post
I shot one bob cat to get mounted but didn't know I had to get it frozen pretty quick and the taxi couldn't do it. I will shoot one more to mount then i will give bob cats a pass.. I don't really care to shoot them other than for a mount but doesn't bug me when people do..
All I have killed have been tanned. I have 2 in the freezer now and only 1 has minimal damage for a full body. Luckily it's my biggest cat. The one I missed Sunday was same size and very similar to the one pictured above color and size wise. If I can get him down before the other heads to the taxi I just might be out $2k and have them both done in the same scene. Crazy what they cost but a good cat taxi isn't cheap! After that tanning is all I will do.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:44 AM   #14
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
I won't shoot them, but have no problem with people who do. Just a personal preference.

Sounds like you need some new friends OP.
LOL... They are actually good people. Don't care about me killing deer as we eat them. Even they eat deer. They just don't see the point of killing cats, coyotes or foxes.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:45 AM   #15
44mAG
Ten Point

Any enemy of turkeys and deer are an enemy to me.
44mAG is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 09:45 AM   #16
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

They're considered a furbearer here and there is a season on them. But from the start of December to the end of February I shoot them. I'd probably pass on a little one but I shoot them to make money and the little ones don't bring much. Beautiful ain't got nothing to do with killin nothin. Some people just have it in their mind if you can't eat it,don't kill it. Well....eat it then if that's your philosophy. Nobody ever said you can't eat predators. I ain't....but if you think that way...eat up. I think that whole thing about eating what you kill is a load of horse hockey anyways. The people talking like that better be having mouse kabobs when they have a rodent problem cause I guarantee you they ain't killin everything just to eat it.

Last edited by okrattler; 11-07-2017 at 09:52 AM.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 09:45 AM   #17
darralld
Six Point

I have shot several of them. You couldn't get me to pass up a shot at one. Now not so much. I have a nice rug & a nice life size mount. I think I would just rather watch them now. With that said, my sister in-law wants one for a life size mount. So if a good one comes by I will shoot it. We have a bunch of them on the property we hunt. See several every season.
darralld is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 09:46 AM   #18
wloftis
Eight Point

Hunt In: All Over Texas

I think bobcats are pretty cool animals and love seeing them; that being said I will shoot them if/when I see them. I know we have them, but don't don't see them on a regular basis at our ranch.
wloftis is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 09:46 AM   #19
randal
Pope & Young

Quote:
All I have killed have been tanned. I have 2 in the freezer now and only 1 has minimal damage for a full body. Luckily it's my biggest cat. The one I missed Sunday was same size and very similar to the one pictured above color and size wise. If I can get him down before the other heads to the taxi I just might be out $2k and have them both done in the same scene. Crazy what they cost but a good cat taxi isn't cheap! After that tanning is all I will do.
Where do you get yours done? Was gonna have mine done at gods creations. Never thought about getting two done.. that would be cool with some quail..
Old 11-07-2017, 09:46 AM   #20
PEC
Ten Point

I shoot every one I can, probably the best meat in the wood.
PEC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 09:47 AM   #21
randal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by wloftis View Post
I think bobcats are pretty cool animals and love seeing them; that being said I will shoot them if/when I see them. I know we have them, but don't don't see them on a regular basis at our ranch.
I had only seen one in the wild my whole life then at the lease last year I saw 3 playing together while deer hunting. Called another in the next day within 5 yards!
Old 11-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #22
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by randal View Post
Where do you get yours done? Was gonna have mine done at gods creations. Never thought about getting two done.. that would be cool with some quail..
I am trying to decide actually. God's Creation has some impressive work. Mark Couture I believe is his name and I'm pretty sure a member here. He charges $950 for the cat and then the scene is extra. Im also thinking about using my main Taxi (TexanTax) here on TBH. Haven't really decided yet.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:50 AM   #23
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEC View Post
I shoot every one I can, probably the best meat in the wood.
Ive heard the meat is good but haven't set my mind to tasting it. I just might have too. Processor in town swears by it and makes stew.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:50 AM   #24
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

Kill em all
AgHntr10 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 09:50 AM   #25
Da' Hitman
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kerr County, Smith County

Personally I won't shoot a bobcat only because I rarely see them. We have one on our Kerr County property that I have watched a few different times. I don't care if others kill em, but I won't simply for the fact I have seen so few. Same with mountain lions
Da' Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 09:53 AM   #26
Louis
Eight Point

Whack em and stack em. Wait till u look up from ur pop up and see one staring at u from 5 yds. NOT cool
Louis is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 09:58 AM   #27
BRYAN@ANDERS
Spike

Hunt In: Texas HC and East Texas

I have shot several over the years. The largest one I had mounted and I have to say it is one of my favorites. However, I quit shooting them awhile back and now enjoy watching them when I see one. I have no problem with people who blast them, and I understand the need for predator control in deer management. I just personally quit faulting them for doing what the good Lord created them to do.
BRYAN@ANDERS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 10:06 AM   #28
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRYAN@ANDERS View Post
I have shot several over the years. The largest one I had mounted and I have to say it is one of my favorites. However, I quit shooting them awhile back and now enjoy watching them when I see one. I have no problem with people who blast them, and I understand the need for predator control in deer management. I just personally quit faulting them for doing what the good Lord created them to do.
Very good point. I debated shooting the one Sunday. After missing it (chip shot) I started to wonder. Watching it move through the grass was neat. Stopping every 10-15 ft and only thing moving was it's tail. If it wasn't for that I wouldnt have known it was there. Fawn crop was weak this year. Not that they weren't born but disappeared. I figured Coyotes for one were the issue but in the last month every camera check has shown Bobcats.

This was my last camera check. Coyote with a deer leg. (Thought maybe youth wknd someone shot a deer and disposed of legs but didn't hear any shots.) The cat was Saturday. I killed a big Tom at 7:30. This cat came by 700 yds from where I liked the other at 9:20. Sunday I shot at a darker cat back at the same setup I killed the other Saturday.
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #29
RobinHood
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fayette, Colorado and Duval Counties

Kill em all. We've killed 15 or 16 (lost count) on our lease in 2 years. They take a toll on the quail, turkey, and deer, no doubt.

RobinHood is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 10:42 AM   #30
RobinHood
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fayette, Colorado and Duval Counties

For the naysayers- here's a bobcat attacking a deer.
RobinHood is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 10:47 AM   #31
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr County - Gillespie County

Pass

Cats have to eat too. And no matter what I think about the other animals they prey on, I'm doing pretty much the same darn thing when I hunt. So mucho respect to a fellow predator - who has more to die for living daily than I do.
AtTheWall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 10:50 AM   #32
Clark
Ten Point

Hunt In: Collingsworth Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Wait till u look up from ur pop up and see one staring at u from 5 yds. NOT cool
I enjoy seeing them.
Should I be afraid?
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 10:52 AM   #33
wal1809
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheWall View Post
Pass

Cats have to eat too. And no matter what I think about the other animals they prey on, I'm doing pretty much the same darn thing when I hunt. So mucho respect to a fellow predator - who has more to die for living daily than I do.
Me too. Even though we will get flamed, thats how I see it.
wal1809 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #34
mzurovec
Ten Point

Hunt In: Blanco, Burnet

I've never shot one and don't plan on it, but to each their own. They are rare on our place and are cool to watch.
mzurovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 11:10 AM   #35
Muskles
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee Co

I've always passed, but probably won't this year. Had a cat and cub last year that my wife and I saw on a few occasions. Every road on our lease has cat "piles" on them. Seeing several on cameras also. A couple years back, I was hunting a friend's hay field for hogs at night. Had 3 doe in the field. Drove towards em in the Jeep and when I got about 60 yards from them, a bobcat jumped up about halfway between us. Guess I changed his dinner plans.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Muskles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 11:10 AM   #36
Fishcat91
Eight Point

Hunt In: Secret Spot

My dad always told me if you see a bobcat then that means you have too many of them. He believes these cats are too good of hunters to be seen. Which makes since. If they are over populated they will be more prone to putting themselves out in the open to get food. It's like big cats such as mountain lions. We know they are in Texas but sightings are not that often.

Last edited by Fishcat91; 11-07-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Fishcat91 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #37
Mrsailfish
Four Point

I have a place in maddisonville, we have a lot of cats. I really enjoy taking my grandson out and using the callers. He loves to blow them and call the cats. I have never shot one with him, I always let the cats win. This year we will get one as he wants to have the skin tanned and put in his room. If we killed all the cats we would not have them to go play with. Also I believe that since the cats have always got away, when we do get one it will be more special to him.
Mrsailfish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 11:16 AM   #38
DEADEYE1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado county
Default Bobcats

I called one on Sunday night and shot it with my thermal setup. I have a ton ogf them also and I kill them every chance I get!!!Its also really really cool to watch them in the thermal coming in
DEADEYE1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 11:28 AM   #39
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishcat91 View Post
My dad always told me if you see a bobcat then that means you have too many of them. He believes these cats are too good of hunters to be seen. Which makes since. If they are over populated they will be more prone to putting themselves out in the open to get food. It's like big cats such as mountain lions. We know they are in Texas but sightings are not that often.
It's funny how rare people really think bobcats are. People rarely see them because they don't want to be seen. I'd be willing to bet Texas has the highest population of bobcats than anywhere in the United States by far. If you're only hunting during the day time your chances of seeing a bobcat are already pretty slim. They do most of their hunting at night. I'd bet it would really,really surprise people that never see them if they took a predator call out at night since it's legal in Texas and shined for eyes all night.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:37 AM   #40
DEADEYE1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado county
Default Bobcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
it's funny how rare people really think bobcats are. People rarely see them because they don't want to be seen. I'd be willing to bet texas has the highest population of bobcats than anywhere in the united states by far. If you're only hunting during the day time your chances of seeing a bobcat are already pretty slim. They do most of their hunting at night. I'd bet it would really,really surprise people that never see them if they took a predator call out at night since it's legal in texas and shined for eyes all night.
exactly!!!!!!!!!
DEADEYE1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #41
Saltyag15
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes, La Salle, and Sutton Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by catslayer View Post
Same here. I'll fling lead or an arrow in the middle of a hunt. I don't care.
Saltyag15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 11:45 AM   #42
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX

MOst time yote and cats get a pass unless I see them close to the house. Only thing I never pass on is pigs.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 11:48 AM   #43
Fishcat91
Eight Point

Hunt In: Secret Spot

Quote:
It's funny how rare people really think bobcats are. People rarely see them because they don't want to be seen. I'd be willing to bet Texas has the highest population of bobcats than anywhere in the United States by far. If you're only hunting during the day time your chances of seeing a bobcat are already pretty slim. They do most of their hunting at night. I'd bet it would really,really surprise people that never see them if they took a predator call out at night since it's legal in Texas and shined for eyes all night.
I know bobcats aren't rare. I have killed a many of them. Majority at night while calling, and a few during the daylight hours. But for the op's question I was basically saying if you see a cat to shoot it because they really shouldn't be seen. Especially during the daylight hours if you are seeing them a lot then there might be a overpopulation in the area and can turn into big problems with other wildlife.
Fishcat91 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 12:07 PM   #44
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
20+ yrs hunting Jack Cty multiple rolls of 35mm film developed and not one bobcat. Yeah they were around but rare! My dad killed the first bobcat off that place 3 yrs ago a couple weeks after getting it on camera. Move to East Tx 9 yrs ago and multiple cameras out. Get a cat on cam once or twice a year. Buy 88 acres next door to us and have 8 cams out. Every camera has a pic of a bobcat almost every check every week! Not rare at this place but overpopulated! I'm almost 32 now and have seen more bobcats in my last 2 sits at my place than I have ever seen hunting. In the last month I have seen 5 during daylight hours. That should say something there.

Put it this way, I had seen more mountain lions in person than bobcats before I purchased this place.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:07 PM   #45
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishcat91 View Post
I know bobcats aren't rare. I have killed a many of them. Majority at night while calling, and a few during the daylight hours. But for the op's question I was basically saying if you see a cat to shoot it because they really shouldn't be seen. Especially during the daylight hours if you are seeing them a lot then there might be a overpopulation in the area and can turn into big problems with other wildlife.
I agree. I know you didn't say they're rare but I know some people think they are. Even here I know folks that have never seen a bobcat and have lived here all their life. I've shot my fair share of them calling and have trapped a bunch. I just chuckle at how amazed people are when I show them pictures of cats that I've shot. They aren't like coyotes and just come out into the open where anyone can see them. You might see one cross the road at night every once in a while but they're very sneaky so it's no wonder nobody ever gets to see one. It doesn't take much cover at all and they seem to just disappear. Just like a big buck or anything else that's learned to use the dark or thick cover to their advantage. They're true survivors.

I wouldn't necessarily use the word smart to describe bobcats but they definitely aren't dumb. They know how to get around and make a living by not being seen.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:14 PM   #46
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr County - Gillespie County

Most hunters are sitting early AM or late Afternoon. It is during these periods, predators start to move. Either on the end of the night's hunt (AM) and or the beginning of the night's hunt (PM).

They aren't as mysterious to see as many think. I've seen many of them and in the areas I've noted them in, and the sightings are typically within 2 hours of either sunrise or sunset. More noted within the 30 minute period on either end. Kerr, Webb, Kendall, Brazoria, Guadalupe & Robertson Counties.

Killing cats doesn't float my boat. They are solitary hunters, not pack driven, and their numbers are never close in count to match coyotes. Which compete against everything the Bobcat pursues.

Fox are pretty much the same as Bobcats - in may ways. And I've watched many of them as well. A couple typically work together, and if several are spotted, they are typically a recent litter that will eventually move on to forge elsewhere as they mature to points to move on.

Last edited by AtTheWall; 11-07-2017 at 12:17 PM.
AtTheWall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #47
kcmarullo
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Tx, Oklahoma

I usually shoot 4 to 5 every year on our place, they don't get a pass.
kcmarullo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 12:19 PM   #48
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
20+ yrs hunting Jack Cty multiple rolls of 35mm film developed and not one bobcat. Yeah they were around but rare! My dad killed the first bobcat off that place 3 yrs ago a couple weeks after getting it on camera. Move to East Tx 9 yrs ago and multiple cameras out. Get a cat on cam once or twice a year. Buy 88 acres next door to us and have 8 cams out. Every camera has a pic of a bobcat almost every check every week! Not rare at this place but overpopulated! I'm almost 32 now and have seen more bobcats in my last 2 sits at my place than I have ever seen hunting. In the last month I have seen 5 during daylight hours. That should say something there.

Put it this way, I had seen more mountain lions in person than bobcats before I purchased this place.
That's pretty wild. Some places do seem to have more than others but it also depends on the habitat I believe. For example I have a buddy down state that catches his limit of bobcats every furbearer season which is 20 per person. He has a high concentration of cats but there's a lot more cover down in that part of the country. A big male bobcats range is like 8 square miles. Here where the trees and cover are scarce they have to extend that range to be able to hunt and still feel safe and having a place they feel safe to stay during the day. That's not to say there aren't a bunch here they're just more spread out because for the most part their solitary animals. They don't travel in packs or anything. About the only time you'll see more than one together is if it's a mother with kittens.

So naturally he gets to see more and take more every year because where he lives their ranges pretty much overlap.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:34 PM   #49
Ryan81
Eight Point

Hunt In: NE Texas, Oklahoma

I drew back on one Saturday evening. Never gave me a shot and walked right under my stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 12:39 PM   #50
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Video was posted on 903 Outdoors Facebook page. Will see if I can download here. Crazy