Mesquite Burl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mesquite Burl

How much is something like this worth? I know knife makers like to use stuff like this for handles and we have a few burls like this around the place. Thats a 30 oz yeti cut for size rederence. Any info appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

1 million dollars

Comment

If you cut it, dry it, then cut into knife scales, it should go for about $15 - $45 per set depending on figure and size. I get mine from a guy in Arizona on eBay.

I'm not sure what it would bring for just the green burl.

You might call M G Sawmill in Huntsville and ask how much they would charge to slice it up and dry it.

I'd bet there is some nice figured wood in there.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
        1 million dollars
        Haha, I wish!

Comment

Originally posted by SOLID EAGLE View Post
          If you cut it, dry it, then cut into knife scales, it should go for about $15 - $45 per set depending on figure and size. I get mine from a guy in Arizona on eBay.

I'm not sure what it would bring for just the green burl.

You might call M G Sawmill in Huntsville and ask how much they would charge to slice it up and dry it.

I'd bet there is some nice figured wood in there.
          So most folks cut it and dry it and sell it that way? I guess you probably get more money for it that way?

Comment

I'd like to see what it looks like inside!

Comment

We have an oak with a bunch of knots in it too. I guess thats as good as mesquite huh?

Comment

Man I'd love to get my hands on This stuff

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
                  Man I'd love to get my hands on This stuff
                  You might can! We got a few more I dont have pictures of that we need to go look at.

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                    So most folks cut it and dry it and sell it that way? I guess you probably get more money for it that way?

I think there are some people who would buy it uncut. You might check out some of the knifemaking forums and ask. Those big hurls are going to be heavy, so shipping will be expensive by UPS. A pallet shipped by common carrier might be cheaper.

Cutting that mesquite burl is a tough job unless you have a large bandsaw. I've cut a little for my own use on a 14" bandsaw. It will wear out a blade fast.

If you can find someone with a large bandsaw mill and a kiln, that would be the way to go. Just get them to cut into the thickness you want. You could then get a smaller bandsaw to cut it into the length and width you need.

You would probably need to have several burls cut at one time to make it worth their while to do it.

I my opinion mesquite burl is some of the best wood there is for knife handles.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	rps20170701_224445.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	24501417

Name:	rps20170701_224420.jpg
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	24501418

Name:	rps20170701_224359.jpg
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	24501419

Makes nice grips as well

Comment

I could get my brother to cut and dry it to your preference if you can get it to the Ruidoso area. It is a long way off from you.

Comment

That big ol canker knot may be rotten inside. Cut it open and see.
                          Some of the best burl and figured wood comes from just below ground on top and inside the root ball. Here's a piece of walnut root ball.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by muzzlebrake; 07-02-2017, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Man that walnut is beautiful. I have cut several mesquite burl and it will wear you out.

Comment

generally with mesquite the smaller the burl the more highly figured the grain will be. the big burls will almost always have some wind stress/and rot to them. I've had a good amount of it custom milled from our trees. when you knock the bark off of it and the sapwood looks like a porcupine is when you get excited, because those burls will have a bunch of birdseye figuring in them. In short form to answer the OP, by the time you get that burl to where its cut and find someone that will buy it and pay yourself for the time you have invested you'll probably be giving the wood away.....

Comment

Working...
                              X