bear problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bear problem

im not real sure where to post this. I have a place in arkansas and for the last 2 years a very large black bear has been tearing up my feeders. He got another one last night. He only comes around late at night and only on full moons so shooting him is next to impossible. Does anyone know of a way to keep this bear off my feeder but not scare away the deer ???

It's a bear. I doubt you're going to stop him unless you get some heavier, longer legs and stake them in to the ground with T-posts.

Comment

if its in arkansas, there have to be plenty of people who run dogs. maybe get one of them to tree it and dispatch it that way. i am not current on the laws over there so its just an idea. good luck!

Comment

the legs would have to be drill pipe.. i have used 2" 4130 chrome molly tubing and he just bends them into and brings down the feeder. He cost me about 50 bags of corn last year and 16 bags this week alone.

Comment

here he is from last year.
          Attached Files

Comment

Do youknow how he is tearing them up? I would try to put an electric fence around your spinner. If he hits it once he wont likely be back.

Comment

Can you get a bear tag in your area? If so, bait him up and take him out. If not, the electric fencing is what I would try. You might also contact the Arkansas Game and Fish department and see if they would relocate this bear because he has become a nuisance.

Comment

he stands up and knocks it over. I put it up high and he pushes on the legs till they give. The top of one feeder was just over 7' and I have a pic of the top of his head over the top when he is standing up. There is a bear season there but you cant use bait or hunt at night. we have always had problems with bears there but this one wont go away..

Comment

trap?

Comment

Wow i wont lie, glad i dont have this problem. But good luck with him.

Comment

The only thing I have seen work in Fl for bears, is use a 3" heavy wall pipe with 4' concreted in the ground and 12' out of the ground with a 3' piece of pipe braced and cantilevered out at the top. Place a heavy duty cable pulley attached in the corner of the upright pipe and the cantilevered pipe, so that you can cut elongated holes in both the upright and cantilevered pipe so the cable rides the pulley and does not rub excessively on the pipe. The cable is run on the interior of the pipes with another pulley attached on the end of the cantilevered pipe for the feeder to hang from. You should either build a steel box for the winch (the best) or weld it to the upright pipe and chain it so the bear can not release the ratchet stop.
                      Sorry, for being so long but everything else, feeder on cable between trees, wrapping trees with tin, tripods with all types of legs..does not work for bears after corn. Good luck

Comment

Hunt late at night on a full moon

Comment

I don't know if this will work but it would be worth a try since the cost is low.

Bears eat with there paws. Spread a whole bunch of cayenne pepper or similar around your feeder.

I don't know if a nose full wouldn't drive the deer off as well?????? It may only take once (like a shock collar) to drive him off.

Comment

Might have to upgrade from drill pipe to drill collars. Id go with a 6 1/4'' 99 lb./foot slick that way when he pulls the legs down they will fall on him and hold him down till you get there. LOL.

Comment

Can you trap bears with bear traps Like the big duke steel traps? If so trap him

Comment

Working...
                              X