• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some guys are good all the time.
    Some guys are just plain bad shots.

I think that for the average shooter,
    Some days you shoot great,
    Some days not so much.

Never know in advance till you pick up the shot gun and start blasting.

Comment

I agree with those that say it really just depends on the day. I have my days when I do good and then there are days when I don't do so great.

My brother on the other hand is probably one of the best if not the best dove shooter I know. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he averages 10 to 12 birds per box of shells. I don't think I've ever seen him have an off day. My buddy and I are probably about the same. He's made us look like we'd never been dove huntin a day in our lives a few times. And most of the time he ain't shootin one of his guns. Some guys are just naturally good.

Comment

Conditions make a huge difference. Sitting in the corner of a sunflower field when they ae fluttering in like butterflies will make you feel like a great shot. Pass shooting white wings with a 25 mph tailwind will make you mutter and cuss

Comment

I really suck....I'm a 1:1 kinda dove hunter

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

4 dove per box average?? Wow...I have never thought about it, but I guess that is probably about right. Maybe 6 per box on a good day (talking about average over all shooters). If I don’t get a 15 bird limit in a box of shells (or a little over), I’ve had a bad day. Maybe it comes down to shot selection for some people...don’t take a bunch of shots you can’t make? Anyhow, interesting thread...

Comment

Never dove hunted before and going for the first time in the morning. I will just be happy with one in a box of shells tomorrow.

Comment

Texas deer hunter, I will agree with that.
                I think that percentages go way up when there are a lot of birds flying and you can pick your shot.

Comment

Best I've ever done a few years ago was 16 per box. There were enough birds that I could be selective with my shots though.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                    Conditions make a huge difference. Sitting in the corner of a sunflower field when they ae fluttering in like butterflies will make you feel like a great shot. Pass shooting white wings with a 25 mph tailwind will make you mutter and cuss
                    I agree. I think it also depends on the gun/choke you're shooting. I use a full choke and have for a long time. I take shots on birds that are a little further out and do just fine that way. But if I get one comin in hot it flies right over me I could miss very easily from ridiculously close range. It makes me wonder how many more I'd kill or how many I wouldn't kill for that matter if I wasn't using the gun and choke that I use.

Comment

I have always heard the average is 1 bird per 7 shots or 3.5 birds per box.

I rarely take more than 3 boxes of shells with me, I average 1:2.5 shots. But like Jerp said co ditions make a big difference, and while I’m not hunting the corner of a sunflower patch I’m hunting in highly populated areas with low pressure and I generally hunt with small groups or alone. Im picky about my shots, I don’t shoot beyond 30 yards and have a **** good dog that does not miss many that fall.

Conversely I hunted with my son tonight, shooting mostly cleanup after he would shoot, my average was down, 9 birds on 19 shots.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post

It all depends on the conditions. If they are coming into a mojo dove I can knock out a limit real quick. If there’s a god wind and the birds are not flying well, I can burn through 3 or 4 boxes to get a limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I read TPWD said it was 7 shells per bird. Happy shooting!

Comment

Where the heck are they getting these "averages" from?

I've never been asked how many shells I shoot per bird.

Comment

I’d say I hit a shot out of 4, if they’re cooperating. If it’s slow and I start sending up prayers, that drops pretty quick.

Comment

I know about where I’m at, but statistically, I’d say there are waaaaaaay more bad shots out there than people who can shoot. I’ve been on so many hunts I’ve often wondered what these people were actually doing. At least they were out there giving it hell. Always told’em good shot and never fought over a bird I knocked down that they ran after lol

Comment

Working...
                                X