Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017-17 was a Good Season

It was good season for me.

After 25 years of hunting, this is the first year I have ever “tagged out”.

This was my fifth season as lease manager on a low fence place in Val Verde County, and all the work we put into the place is finally paying off. We fed a lot and harvested very few deer the first 4 years, in an attempt to let the country recover from drought.

In the first 4 years I had only killed two deer. One was an older than dirt scrub 8, the other was a pretty nice buck, around 130”.

I would say deer population is about 5 times what it was when we started.

I started the season by killing my biggest aoudad. He was 27” & 28”.

I was able to kill a mature short tined 8 point as a cull the day after Thanksgiving and a tall 10 point as my trophy a couple weeks later. He scored 131 +\- with a broken G4. He would have been closer to 135 if it wasn’t broken. He’s my biggest whitetail to date.

I killed a doe early in the season, and was able to kill a couple more last weekend, which filled my tags. I had never killed a doe on this place, and only one other doe was taken during the season, so I figured I wouldn’t be hurting anything to punch my last couple of tags. We eat a lot of deer meat in our house, and I have some friends and family I usually give some to as well.

Hope 2018-19 is even better! I’m waiting to shoulder mount until I get a low fence 140” or a 30” aoudad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very good! Congrats

Comment

I messed up and can't figure out how to edit the title of this thread to show 2017-18.

Anyone care to help me out? I'm fairly new to this forum.

Comment

That’s a good season! Congrt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Nice got any openings?

Comment

Very nice Jackie. Good looking animals. That aoudad is beat to hell

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                Very nice Jackie. Good looking animals. That aoudad is beat to hell
                Thanks man. The scarring on the aoudad is what got him the bullet. I don't know what happened to him, but he also had infection in a hoof. There was one in the herd that I think might have been an inch or two longer, but I shot the scarred up one mainly out of curiosity.

Where do I know you from?

Comment

Originally posted by jheflinland View Post
                  Thanks man. The scarring on the aoudad is what got him the bullet. I don't know what happened to him, but he also had infection in a hoof.

Where do I know you from?
                  Hunter, worked with you guys when we were doing the seismic permitting out of Sealy for Halcon. You were working for Lemke.

Comment

Originally posted by slicktree View Post
                    Nice got any openings?
                    No Sir. Actually have a waiting list of guys wanting to get on the last couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                      Hunter, worked with you guys when we were doing the seismic permitting out of Sealy for Halcon. You were working for Lemke.
                      Small world! Good to hear from you man. Looks like I need to pick your brain on some elk hunting.

Comment

Working...
                      X