No announcement yet.

Hog skinning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for sharing. I use a guy hook knife.
    I have skinning them by splitting skin on the belly and back.
    Weight of hide tends to help as it lays back
    I always “shampoo” my hogs with spray hose before I start the process.
    Head up. A little soap helps!

Comment

I do strips like that, just the backstrap and maybe the hams. But why even bother hanging? You can do that in the field right where they fall. I did that on the last couple I killed and leaving them laying there open like that I believe accelerates the coyote/buzzard cleanup process. There was not a shred of evidence that I left them laying out from one weekend to the next.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
        I do strips like that, just the backstrap and maybe the hams. But why even bother hanging? You can do that in the field right where they fall. I did that on the last couple I killed and leaving them laying there open like that I believe accelerates the coyote/buzzard cleanup process. There was not a shred of evidence that I left them laying out from one weekend to the next.
        Our rancher does not want us leaving anything in the field... He says it makes coyotes worse on his calves. He may have a point, but it sure makes it a pain sometimes. We bring everything in and process it in camp, then haul off all the leftovers to an old ox-bow lake and dump the carcasses there. They are quickly disposed of by fish, gators, turtles, so no chance for a 'yote to get at 'em there.

Comment

That's criminal... those little pigs are the most delicious thing you've ever eaten if you cook them properly. I wouldn't waste one ounce of that meat.

Also you want to minimize fur-to-meat contact, so skinning them in one fell swoop is key

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            Our rancher does not want us leaving anything in the field... He says it makes coyotes worse on his calves. He may have a point, but it sure makes it a pain sometimes. We bring everything in and process it in camp, then haul off all the leftovers to an old ox-bow lake and dump the carcasses there. They are quickly disposed of by fish, gators, turtles, so no chance for a 'yote to get at 'em there.
            Our rancher wants all carcasses left in a particular spot, away from his fields because he has had too many flats on his tractors from scattered bones he wasn't expecting.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
              That's criminal... those little pigs are the most delicious thing you've ever eaten if you cook them properly. I wouldn't waste one ounce of that meat.

Also you want to minimize fur-to-meat contact, so skinning them in one fell swoop is key
              Never seen a fur-bearing pig... The ones we kill are all hairy and muddy...

Comment

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                  That's the way I have done it for a long long time. Take the back straps and a little of the ham for fresh carne guisada and that's it. I do carry a 15ft piece of rope in the ranger to drag them away from a feeder though.

Comment

Never seen a fur-bearing pig... The ones we kill are all hairy and muddy...
                    Forget caliber/cartridge, shell/case, magazine/clip - that's got to be the most pedantic correction I've seen here

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I'm with Saltwater, hang them by the head and wash them down well first. I also agree with those above saying if you aren't cooking them whole the front legs(especially on a small pig) aren't worth messing with. Those linoleum/carpet blades work, just not my cup o tea.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                          The blade on that knife is a hook it's made for Vinyl
                          Mine was the hooked blade.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
                            I don’t think he wasted a lot of meat. Sure he missed the shoulders and tenderloins (he should have at least grabbed the TL).

But man, after doing all of my own processing for a while now, those **** shoulders just aren’t worth it. Once deboned, it’s only a handful of tough tendon meat. It’s chewy even in a burger. On top of that, getting a pig’s hide down to its head sucks! Especially if you have to skin multiples in one go at it.

I get some folks smoke the whole shoulder on a pig but I let the buzzards have them!
                            Yeah, when hogs are everywhere, you can pick and choose what portions of meat to take.

Comment

I've been skinning hogs this way for over 40 years. You can skin them out by cutting the hide in the strips from head to rear foot, then circle the neck and peal each strip down all the way around a few inches until you're done.
                              Yep, me too - been doing it this way for over 40 years. Learned it from working in slaughter house.

Comment

I've never tried it but after looking salt waters pigs I will give it a try but I haven't seen a pig on our lease in 6 years

Comment

Working...
                                X