Florida deputy refused to engage school shooter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tradslam View Post
    Yea there are a few guys out there in every department that probably shouldn't be. I can also say that if you've never been in this kind situation, you wont know what you'll do. You simply can't "train" this.

Heck I've seen guys that have been on patrol freeze up for a hell of a lot less then this.
    Sadly this is true. Far and away the vast, vast majority of folks will respond well to their training and experience and execute well. But there are always a couple that are fine as long as everything is calm and when Zhat hits the fan, they fall apart or freeze.

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
      Anyone in law enforcement knows there are officers that are scared. Those that won't come to aid in a time of need and will not do what needs to be done at the moment of truth. There is a nationwide shortage of law enforcement officers so there is no room to be more selective with the hires.
      Most have families and will choose discretion over possible death coupled with excuses! In Special Operations we always said it was OK to be scared, but to be scared and not do it! Unforgivable!

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post
        Most have families and will choose discretion over possible death coupled with excuses! In Special Operations we always said it was OK to be scared, but to be scared and not do it! Unforgivable!
        I hear ya. It sucks being scared and running towards the sound of gunfire but it is what we are paid the big bucks to do.

Comment

I'm assuming your not a cop?

What your missing is thats they way cops were trained then, you can't say much other then it was one of the worst things our country had seen up until then. You can't and shouldn't blame them then this current one is different because, times and tactics have changed.

Who would of thought things would get so bad over the years, were todays tactics on entering a school for an active shooter is common place.
          No, I'm not a cop. My point is, you HAVE TO ENGAGE IMMEDIATELY. Wait for backup? Maybe. That would all depend. Hell, I'm not even a trained Leo, but I guarantee you I would engage in such a situation IMMEDIATELY. Like glen stated, the shooter would be more worried about me than his next helpless victim. There's a good chance that the shooter would off himself when engaged due to the simple fact that he's a COWARD to begin with. This is not some keyboard warrior talk either. I did have an experience while doing night security for a country club, but that's neither here nor there. It was an adrenaline rush though.

Comment

Thegrouse, where you working, I'll kick in an app. We aren't getting big bucks in Colorado lol

Comment

"The mans job or not, it takes a special kind of person to run head first in to a gun fight. I’m willing to bet that 95% of the people here and all over the internet talking trash about this guy would have turned and ran.
              Yes it’s his job yes he swore to protect but when they are paying you 30-40k a year it’s going to be tough to find real warriors. Easy to say if that was me .... little bit different to be standing there when it goes down."

You are 100% correct, but WHEN will the american public quit paying snakey politicians and lobbyist 6 digits, and pay it to the real LEO's who do their job.
              Professional athletes make millions- law enforcement 40K. -Think we have really F'd up??

Comment

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
                "The mans job or not, it takes a special kind of person to run head first in to a gun fight. I’m willing to bet that 95% of the people here and all over the internet talking trash about this guy would have turned and ran.
                Yes it’s his job yes he swore to protect but when they are paying you 30-40k a year it’s going to be tough to find real warriors. Easy to say if that was me .... little bit different to be standing there when it goes down."

You are 100% correct, but WHEN will the american public quit paying snakey politicians and lobbyist 6 digits, and pay it to the real LEO's who do their job.
                Professional athletes make millions- law enforcement 40K. -Think we have really F'd up??

Yes sir I do think it’s a messed up system. I think our law enforcement and teachers all should command minimum double what they make now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thegrouse, where you working, I'll kick in an app. We aren't getting big bucks in Colorado lol
                  It was sent tongue in cheek. We ain't getting rich but we are blessed with a good paycheck, retirement and benefits. Colorado has those beautiful mountains. Ill be up there in a few months wishing I was there full time.

Comment

Lots of dropped balls the whole way through:

Comment

Guys I’d never turn down a raise but i’m Doing pretty well- teachers on the other hand should get at least a 30%-50% across the board

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                        Guys I’d never turn down a raise but i’m Doing pretty well- teachers on the other hand should get at least a 30%-50% across the board
                        I agree. LEO in the big cities are not starving

Comment

This is no joke. The best advise I was ever given, when things go real bad. "Take a deep breath and get **** done. You might die, but if you don't give it hell you definitely will".

At the time I though he was just acting for the FNG. After the years, of loosing buddies to suicide it no joke. And those guys didn't even doing anything bad.

Comment

Ok, but when you step up to the plate you better produce! I was making $13K a year as a grunt invading Iraq in 2003! My salary didn’t keep me from doing my job then or when I went to Special Forces! You accept the job or spend your time watching Lethal Weapon on the weekends selling insurance period!

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                              It was sent tongue in cheek. We ain't getting rich but we are blessed with a good paycheck, retirement and benefits. Colorado has those beautiful mountains. Ill be up there in a few months wishing I was there full time.
                              I know I was just screwing around, shoot me PM when your coming up. Maybe we can grab a beer or catch a few trout.

Comment

Originally posted by one66stang View Post
                                Yes sir I do think it’s a messed up system. I think our law enforcement and teachers all should command minimum double what they make now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tax payers can only stand so much of their money going to things other than their families. To pay public service employees twice what we make now would mean HUGE tax increases. I dont see that going over very well

Comment

Working...
                                X