Asian Water Buffalo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asian Water Buffalo

I'm kicking around the idea of setting up a cow buffalo hunt for a freezer filler. I know they're big animals and can have a temper. I'd like to consider options on a weapon but just settling on a rifle hunt.

What would be the minimum rifle, bow or pistol you'd take? I've never hunted an animal of this size, so I'm looking for input on what to do and not to do.

Not sure about the rifle, but maybe a great pair of Nike's also?

LOL

Comment

I would take a bow.
      Gun - something at least 150 grains

Comment

I have a .375H&H and a .458 Win Mag, so I'd be taking one or both of them. But I'm a gun nerd. I know nothing about buffalo, but they're big, so I'd think having someone else with a rifle that can clean up any mess is a good idea.

LWD

Comment

Are you talking about a hunt in Texas for one?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
            Are you talking about a hunt in Texas for one?
            Yes, somewhere around Junction I think.

Comment

Tough animals for sure. Saw one go straight down with a 28 Nosler to the forehead. If planning on a shoulder shot 375 is a great caliber. Most of my PH buddies from South Africa love the 375.

Comment

Cant go too big that's for sure

Comment

I killed a pretty big bull in south Texas when preparing for Cape buffalo. I wanted to test my archery setup. I don’t think a cow would be too hard to kill. If you can get close(usually not a problem) I would use an 800+grain arrow(arrow and broadhead all in) and at least a 70 lb bow. If spot and stalk and shooting 30-40 yards I would have 80 lbs and 800+ grain arrows. On the rifle I think any 30 caliber with good bullets will do it. I have been impressed with the abilities of Barnes ttsx on big stuff. If you want to do it with what’s made for the big boys then go 375 or bigger. The cows just aren’t that big. They are built sturdy though! One more thing, if you use a bow don’t get cute on the broadhead. Use a very well constructed 2 blade. Not something with a bunch of parts and screws and aluminum. That’s my 2 cents.

Comment

I wouldn't think rifle selection would be important, something in the 300 win mag or bigger will do the job. If you use a bow go with a heavy arrow and a solid 2 blade to be sure of penetration. You will be surprised at the rib configuration on one of these animals. I would google the internals of the Asian buffalo to be sure where the vitals are located. Think close shots!

Comment

Bow all the way

Comment

I killed the one in my avatar with a .308. First shot dropped it (head still up though) and three shots to the chest to finish it off. The guide had a bad experience with another hunter and told me not to stop shooting until you hear the death bellow.

Comment

If I ever get to shoot one it will be with my 4" model 629, 265 grain wide flat nose at 1200fps. I plan one shooting one in not too many more years.

Comment

i personally have never eaten one but in your original post you said "freezer filler", according to my parents the Asian Water Buffalo is not a good tasting animal. Again don't hold me to that as it is something that my parents have told me a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
                              I killed a pretty big bull in south Texas when preparing for Cape buffalo. I wanted to test my archery setup. I don’t think a cow would be too hard to kill. If you can get close(usually not a problem) I would use an 800+grain arrow(arrow and broadhead all in) and at least a 70 lb bow. If spot and stalk and shooting 30-40 yards I would have 80 lbs and 800+ grain arrows. On the rifle I think any 30 caliber with good bullets will do it. I have been impressed with the abilities of Barnes ttsx on big stuff. If you want to do it with what’s made for the big boys then go 375 or bigger. The cows just aren’t that big. They are built sturdy though! One more thing, if you use a bow don’t get cute on the broadhead. Use a very well constructed 2 blade. Not something with a bunch of parts and screws and aluminum. That’s my 2 cents.
                              I would agree with DocMay on the Barnes TSX comment. I load the Barnes 300 gr TSX using RL15 powder for my 375 H&H and it is one seriously impressive caliber and bullet. And, a lot of people think the 375 H&H is a cannon only for the big, big animals but I can tell you there are a lot of guys up here that use them for their all around big game gun. It is also comfortable to shoot and at the end of the day, being comfortable and confident in what you are shooting is more important than the actual caliber in most cases.

Comment

Working...
                              X