Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Keep feeder going or shut it down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I keep mine running year round.

If I was you I would keep it running til the end of deer season. It may keep some deer from wondering over to your neighbors and getting shot.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
      Deer do not need a feeder during winter. Mother nature provides plenty.
      Now if we were talking Michigan maybe
      So you are saying there is as much food in February as there is in July?

I'm certain the deer have plenty to survive but the point is if you are going to supliment feed them why not do it when they could use the extra food instead of the middle of summer when everything is green?

I was just saying, if you are gonna shut down a feeder to save $$ I would do it in the late spring and summer when they already have plenty to eat. Post rut winter is a great time to supliment them with corn.

Comment

Keep it going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

year round

Comment

I filled mine last week for the last time till late summer. Having said that I have two protein feeders that will be filled up next month.

I have something for them year around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=Ksbowhunter;12022475]So you are saying there is as much food in February as there is in July?

I'm certain the deer have plenty to survive but the point is if you are going to supliment feed them why not do it when they could use the extra food instead of the middle of summer when everything is green?

I was just saying, if you are gonna shut down a feeder to save $$ I would do it in the late spring and summer when they already have plenty to eat. Post rut winter is a great time to supliment them with corn.[/QUOT

Always plenty of food for deer in probably 99.9% of Texas.
              I have not had a feeder in 7-8 years so the question of keeping it going or shutting it off really does not matter to me. My opinion to shut it off is based on my experience of still having a very good herd of deer despite not using one to attract and hold deer on the property

Comment

Keep feeder going or shut it down?

I keep mine running all year. I want the deer wanting my corn! I do turn it down a bit in the off season unless I have pigs hitting it.

Bisch

Comment

Regardless of goals, here's a few things to consider.

1. Deer can benefit from a high energy supplement in winter, post rut.

2. A deer's rumen (1st "stomach") begins the digestive process through microbes that break down food. There are different microbes for the different food types. Corn builds up starch digesting microbes. Starch does nothing for antler growth. Weeds and fresh browse shoots build up cellulose microbes, and more mature browse builds up hemi-cellulose microbes. Both of these microbes lead to adsorption of protein. So, as soon as little green weeds appear in the pasture, antler growth potential will be increased if the rumen is producing cellulose and hemi-cellulose digesters, not starch digesters. So, the longer corn is provided, after seeing lots of little green weeds in the pasture, antler growth is potentially reduced.

3. Almost all of nubbin' bucks at feeder will disperse at 1.5 yrs of age, and spend the rest of their lives somewhere else.

4. I know ranches that lightly feed corn during growing season that kill big deer every year.

5. I know ranches that only feed corn during hunting season that kill big deer every year.

Comment

I'm in the year round group.

Comment

Working...
                    X