Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Riffle question for my daughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoot whichever rifle you and your daughter are comfortable with. Make sure she shoots before going. My son and I have very different bullet placement with his 243.

After 5 years in the blind with him- have realistic expectations of the hunting situation. Small kids ( like my son at 8) had a difficult time with tall box stand windows. A comfortable shooting platform was critical to his sucess. Kids get excited and neck shooting deer at 100+ yards may not be a reasonable expectation.

Comment

I got my daughter a 243 this year. I have a 22-250 that she has been shooting great is the only reason I did not buy another didn't need 2 and she wanted to move up a lil bit. she is deadly with my sons 308 as well but is just not comfortable with it yet so I went with a 243.

So don't worry about the 22-250 it is an awesome round and their ability to handle it and shot placement will make her very successful. Either the 243 or 22-250 are great choices but if I didn't already have one I would have went with the 22-250.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
        A little too much recoil for a 70# child...imo
        Use a shoulder pad/reduced recoil ammo for practice. They'll never notice the recoil while hunting. I shot my first deer at 8 with a 94 Winchester in 30-30. I don't think there's any sense in giving kids a rifle that is barely the minimum to kill deer.

Comment

My 7 year old daughter shoots a 300 blackout and a 6.8.

Comment

Where most dads make the mistake is letting kids practice on paper with a large rifle. Get kids shooting with a .22 bolt rifle. Switch them over to the hunting rifle when its time and they wont realize it has any noise or recoil. I've taken countless kids hunting for the first time and this works every time.

Comment

Howa makes a 1500 mini action in 6.5 Grendel and 7.62x39. Been meaning to do a review on the 7.62x39. Go that route. Enough power out to 300 for deer and hogs. Little recoil. 6.5 and especially 7.62 hole beats a 22 cal any day. She can shoot for first cheap .24 cents all day long. I would without question going the 7.62x39 route.

Comment

My first riffle to shoot was a 30-30 and it kicked the **** out of me and I was scared to shoot it again for a long time, that's what I'm trying to avoid for my little girl

Comment

22-250 is deadly

Comment

how about 300 BLK? wouldnt it be about the same recoil as 223 if not less? still pushing a 308 chunk of lead down range.

Comment

300blk is also a good choice along with the 7.62x39. The advantage over the 300blk though is the ability to be able to afford to practice a lot which is what she needs. If the child wil be hunting with muffs get the gun braked and as she grows take it off or run it supressed.

Comment

there is a guy selling a howa axiom .243 on here. My by shoots the same. Pretty nice gun.

Comment

6mm/.243, .22-250, .220 swift they all kill and little recoil on all of them or 300blk supers 110gr barnes

Comment

Working...
                          X