Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suppressor for hunting and subsonic ammo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used full power loads. I called Barnes to see if their bullets would expand reliably at subsonic speeds, around 1030, and they said no. I wasn't confident about shooting an animal, especially a deer, with subsonic ammo anyway.

Comment

Lehigh defense. They are expensive, but their maximum expansion subsonic .300blk opens to about two inches. Its about $2.00 a round, but that's really not bad for hunting ammo.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

300blk lee mold neck or shoulder shots and ya let me upload my phone pics, no exits on any of them but drt.
          Originally posted by toledo View Post
          What cartridge? Body shots? Can you post some damage pics?

Where did you get the mold?

Comment

Originally posted by GTXHUNTER88 View Post
            300blk lee mold neck or shoulder shots and ya let me upload my phone pics, no exits on any of them but drt.
            Pure lead? Concerned with lead inside your can? Getting any expansion from the bullet?

Ive got a H&R 357 cut to 16". Loading with 5.0 grains of titegroup and a 180 grn XTP. Through an Osprey9. Its accurate and Hollywood quiet but nervous about taking body shots with it.

They don't take a step. Only take good shots and its like cutting the head off a chicken.

Comment

"Hear's" an interesting sound test, pun intended.
              SHOOTING SUPPRESSED SUPERSONIC & SUBSONIC AMMUNITION INTO A FERAL HOG TO TEST DECIBLE LEVELS AT THE BULLET IMPACT VS THE RIFLES MUZZLE BLAST.Armasight- Night...

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                "Hear's" an interesting sound test, pun intended.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGm8QCDPG8Y

I wonder if they recovered that hog? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When hunting I use supers with my suppressor.

I shot a hog on Tuesday, had deer that didn't even lift their head when shooting on the opposite sendero and within 2-3 minutes had some new deer walk out within 25-50 yards of where the hog was shot.

Subs are fun to play with, but in a hunting situation supers make the most sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
                    When hunting I use supers with my suppressor.

I shot a hog on Tuesday, had deer that didn't even lift their head when shooting on the opposite sendero and within 2-3 minutes had some new deer walk out within 25-50 yards of where the hog was shot.

Subs are fun to play with, but in a hunting situation supers make the most sense to me.
                    ^^^^ this exactly! Subsonic ammo is fun to plink with but using supersonic ammo while hunting is really the only option for me. Not interested in chasing after a wounded animal due to lack of bullet expansion. I've shot many deer with supersonic rounds only to have many of the animals barely lift their heads to check out what happened or some might scatter off a little but come back in shortly after the shot. I'm sure there are a few who have had success with subsonic ammo on animals but there's just no real good reason for me to hunt with it in my opinion.

Comment

In the neck with subsonic ammo drops them in their tracks

Comment

I've shot a bunch of deer with 168 grain A-Max subs in 308. They have punched through every deer and hog, but do not expand at all. Small entry and exit holes. Internal damage is the same as any other bullet. I have kept shots to 125 yards or less, and range every shot before it's taken. (There IS a difference between a 75 yard and a 95 yard shot when it comes to trajectory.) All shots have been shoulder or behind shoulder. No neck or head shots.

That being said, most of the time I shoot regular ammo so I don't have to worry about range.

Comment

I use sub-sonic for my finishing gun.
                          In the day light I use a 10" Ruger ranch rifle with either 170 or 194 grain Leghigh defense .300AAC
                          In the night I use a internally suppressed .44 mag with a 280 grain swift a frame bullet.
                          I have shot 50 or 70 animals with these two guns in the last 5 years and never lost one that I hit with either.

If I was going to go hunting I would not pick a sub sonic over a super sonic but there is no doubt in my mind that any animal I shoot in the lungs with either gun is done for.

I killed a couple of dozen with a .45 LC revolver before my eyes got bad.
                          The was a 225 bullet leaving the gun at 800 fps
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1717.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	24477088

Comment

[ATTACH]831158[/ATTACH]

Comment

Working...
                            X