30-30 recoil ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30-30 recoil ?

Looking at getting my son a TC contender. How would the recoil be? Hes 7 about to be 8, and small for his age. Hes shot a 22-250, 6.8 AR. and a single shot 243. Said the 243 was a little much for him. The contender has a 223 barrel. Was thinking a 30-30 would have some more umph, just not sure of recoil. Shots will be 100yds or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with the 6.8, if you can get a barrel for it in a Contender. I use it exclusively for coyotes and hogs. I've dropped 150 lb. boars in their tracks with high shoulder shots. Or just go with the AR.

Comment

30-30 will def be too much IMO

Comment

If 243 was a bit much for him, don't get the 30-30. Wait till he's bigger.

Comment

This might help. Look up Chuck Hawks Rifle Recoil Table.

Comment

Originally posted by Louis View Post
            x2

Comment

Originally posted by Louis View Post

Kinda what i figured. I think he will be good with the 223 and 60gr nosler partitions.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                Nothing wrong with the 6.8, if you can get a barrel for it in a Contender. I use it exclusively for coyotes and hogs. I've dropped 150 lb. boars in their tracks with high shoulder shots. Or just go with the AR.

Might look into a 6.8 or 300blk out barrel

Comment

The AR takes some of the recoil away compared to a single shot like your contender. 30-30 has about the same or a tad more recoil than a 243. A .223 with good bullets will get the job done.

Comment

223 will kill them just as well as any. I've seen some wicked kill shots out of a 223.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Used the Hornady Custom Lite 87 grain 243 bullet for daughter her at 8. Does great out to a hundred yards.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Comment

The dirty thirty will wallop the heck out of him if the .243 was a bit too much. Maybe get a brake installed on the 243 and try again.

Comment

It's a low recoil round.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Comment

Just go load up a 3.5” mag in your 12 gauge and have him shoot it. Then ask him how that .243 felt

I’m teasin’

Good advice above!

Comment

All else being equal, 243 and 30-30 have about the same recoil. But most 30-30 rifles are lightweight lever actions with a metal butt plate, thus more felt recoil than the average 243.

Comment

Working...
                              X