McAAP - My Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McAAP - My Experience

As some of you know, I hunted McAAP last week for the first time ever. Overall, my experience was positive. I was drawn for Deer Creek. After orientation, when we broke up into the smaller groups to select drivers and such, I just randomly selected someone and asked if I could be in their group. After everything was sorted regarding drivers, we were told to report back at 1pm to convoy out into our areas.

At 2pm, we parked and I embarked upon my chigger and tick gathering adventure - or scouting to some. I was dropped into an area that was roughly 250 acres and given 4 hours to scout it, select a location, and hang a stand. This I did - somewhat successfully. The group I was with had brought a half dozen stands and blinds. I only brought my climber and a set of sticks. I found two likely spots and set up my sticks. I figured this would be a good evening stand. I then went to the next spot I had selected and hung my climber like a lock on - it was low enough that I didn't need sticks to get into. I then made my way back to the truck to be picked up and returned to camp.

Friday morning, I had an encounter with a young 9pt - about 45 yards out. I saw him about 9:30, and that was the only deer I saw all morning. About 1pm, I got down and moved my stand over closer to the trail that he had come out on. I then went back by the truck (my group had an extra lock on stand that they let me use) to grab the stand and go to my evening spot. It was 90 degrees out by this time, and by the time I got to the tree, I was totally soaked. I did see 5 does that evening, but they all winded me or were too far out to get a shot.

Saturday morning, I went back to the stand where I had seen the buck the day before and sat ALL day without seeing any deer. This was a long day.

Sunday morning, it was much cooler, but I almost needed a seat belt to stay in the tree. The wind was 15mph gusting to 28mph. I was hunting the other stand this morning. I did see one doe, but she never came any closer than about 30 yards. I didn't even try to fling one at her.

Some things that I would have done differently:
    - good bug spray. I'm still suffering the effects of chiggers
    - tripod - I would have brought my 6' tripod. I think it would have been much easier to set up and better for the terrain I was in. I really think that you need to bring a variety of types of stands, because you really never know what type of area you will be in and what would work best.
    - be more specific for the draw you put into. I will only select one of the last two weekends to draw for.
    - put in with a group. Not only does it up your odds of getting drawn, but then you have a little more control over where you hunt.

All in all, I consider it a successful hunt. I was dropped off in the middle of somewhere that I have never been, and I was able to get within bow range of deer - maybe not traditional, but definitely bow range. I'm sure that I will do it again eventually. One thing I learned, not all successful hunts end with a good blood trail. Sometimes just being there and being close is enough.

skooter

Thanks for sharing

Hunting a place you spend lots of time on is easy, hunting a place that you have little or no knowledge of for a short period will make you a better hunter but it is usually tough hunting

Comment

Any bucks taken

Comment

Sounds like my experiences there. I have hunted there 6 times. The first 4 solo and the last 2 times in groups. Hunting there solo is definately tough as your choices of where to hunt are limited unless you want to walk a long ways. The last 3 hunts are the best as the rut is starting or in full swing. Glad you had a good time as it is a challenging hunt. If you get anything it is a true trophy just due to all the challenges in the hunt.

Comment

Everyone wants to hunt the base because of the opportunities there are to shoot a true trophy buck and there are a lot of them there. I've heard numerous stories about all these big bucks people see and how many shots they take, etc, etc. and I've been fortunate to hunt there several times and shoot a few does, but it is no where near easy to hunt. Even having a decent idea as to where you want to hunt can still make it a very tough place due to the fact that no matter how good a spot may have been one year that you hunted it, by the time you get drawn again it can all change.
          It is an amazing place for wildlife but there is nothing about it that's easy. Definitely a spot every trad hunter shoot hunt at least once to experience the atmosphere that place has about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X