Truck bed cargo rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truck bed cargo rack

Seems that with my short bed truck plus small toolbox I never have enough room. I’ve seen these around and probably even on here. But I’m having my HS AG dept build me a cargo rack that will go from bed rail to bed rail and from the tailgate to within a few inches of the tool box (enough to get your hand in and operate the toolbox). Will be built out of 1 1/2” square tube and sit on 2”x2” angle iron. There will be 2 rails on each side to tie stuff down to, but open on front and back. Everything will be bedlined for durability.

Any suggestions on things to add before we finalize the plans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lights on the sides and on the back. That way you can see around the truck if working in the field.

I have had this same thought after seeing a few myself. Can’t wait to see it finished.

Comment

I built something similar for my tacoma. Just large enough for coolers.

Make sure you have a solid mounting system.

That said....plenty of places for tie downs,maybe feet for coolers to rest in, rod rack, handles to remove it easy....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I would sure consider a rail across the front and back to "truss" that span if you plan to put full coolers up there.

Cool idea, that'd be the 1st thing I built if I ever go with a small bed truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
          I built something similar for my tacoma. Just large enough for coolers.

Make sure you have a solid mounting system.

That said....plenty of places for tie downs,maybe feet for coolers to rest in, rod rack, handles to remove it easy....

I failed to mention it will have an expanded metal floor

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
            I failed to mention it will have an expanded metal floor

Cool. I used 3/4×3/4 welded grating. It secures to the bed via small turn buckles to the bed hooks

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              I would sure consider a rail across the front and back to "truss" that span if you plan to put full coolers up there.

Cool idea, that'd be the 1st thing I built if I ever go with a small bed truck.

Do you really think it would have issues with sagging? My original plans had for them, but I removed them as I didn’t like the look. Any other ideas besides a rail? What about corner reinforces on the underside

Comment

It may never bend, but It may deflect, depending on the thickness of the tubing. Braces underneath would help, or you could double that tubing underneath, that would stiffen it plenty.

Comment

It may never bend, but It may deflect, depending on the thickness of the tubing. Braces underneath would help, or you could double that tubing underneath, that would stiffen it plenty.

What about a piece of angle ran on underside the length of the tube?

Comment

What about a piece of angle ran on underside the length of the tube?

That would sure help.

Can't tell if you have a piece of tubing running side to side in the center either, but that would probably get you all the rigidity you need and not change the profile any.

Comment

That would sure help.

Can't tell if you have a piece of tubing running side to side in the center either, but that would probably get you all the rigidity you need and not change the profile any.

All the tubing runs front to back as that was the shortest span. Could very easily add some cross bracing between them if you think it would get it right

Comment

All the tubing runs front to back as that was the shortest span. Could very easily add some cross bracing between them if you think it would get it right

I would run 3 across from side to side, then bridge them front to back so they share the weight equally.

Comment

Cool idea. What type of capacity are you planning for the rack to support? I would definitely keep heavier coolers and stuff in the bed, and put lighter bags or other items on the rack. One reason is to keep the rack lighter so you can easily remove it, but also because it can be hard enough loading full cooler in the bed of a truck, much less an additional 3' higher.

Comment

Originally posted by apc10 View Post
                            Cool idea. What type of capacity are you planning for the rack to support? I would definitely keep heavier coolers and stuff in the bed, and put lighter bags or other items on the rack. One reason is to keep the rack lighter so you can easily remove it, but also because it can be hard enough loading full cooler in the bed of a truck, much less an additional 3' higher.
                            I don't foresee having full coolers on the rack, normally its just for things that we carry to places like the beach like folding chairs, pop up canopys, fishing rods, etc. I will carry my kayaks in the bed of the truck underneath the rack. As far as weight is concerned I am not sure really on what my goal is. I am considering building a removable vertical brace that will attach to the underside of the rack in the middle and will extend downwards to rest on the truck bed. I could put it in place any time I'm expecting to have more weight on the rack and remove it when not needed.

Comment

In for the end result. I have been wavering between a camper shell and something similar to this.

Comment

Working...
                              X