Hearing protection and hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am going to be doing some hog hunting with high powered rifles. Walking large areas. I have a lot of hearing loss already. I need to be able to hear and then quickly and one handedly engage hearing protection for shooting. I wear brimmed hats so I am looking for something other than muffs. What are your suggestions? Thanks in advance.

A silencer on every rifle in the groupis a good long term solution.

In the ear electronic ear pro are the immediate solution. They can be expensive though

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Howard Leight impact sports are $50 with prime shipping on amazon right now. I’ve got a pit and really like them. I’m probably going to order some for the kids soon.

I overlooked the bit about brimmed hats. What about some the go behind the head? Or just ear plugs?

Comment

Well, after some thought, I can use a soft hat or cap for night hunting, so muffs type may be an option.

Comment

What did you say?

The electronic muffs are the ticket.

Comment

Here are some more options they have ear plugs that you are able to wear and won’t get in the way .

Comment

Originally posted by krisw View Post
              Howard Leight impact sports are $50 with prime shipping on amazon right now. I’ve got a pit and really like them. I’m probably going to order some for the kids soon.

I overlooked the bit about brimmed hats. What about some the go behind the head? Or just ear plugs?

Bunch of range time coming up. Thanks ordered 2..........

Comment

I really like these. https://www.amazon.com/Otto-NoizeBar...df_B07HZ3PNKX/

For a single shot with a suppressor occasionally I'll go without ear plugs, but you will still damage your ears unprotected with a suppressor and a rifle.

Comment

I've been using a pair of Walker Silencer earbuds for hunting. Wouldn't use them for a lot of range shooting but work ok for a couple shots hunting. it is a pain to change the batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by Leverhunter View Post
                    I've been using a pair of Walker Silencer earbuds for hunting. Wouldn't use them for a lot of range shooting but work ok for a couple shots hunting. it is a pain to change the batteries.
                    I got a pair of the Walkers ear buds and I HATE them. I'm glad I didn't pay full price. The foam buds are terrible and battery life is worse!

My advice.....don't even consider the Walkers earbuds.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

MSA Sordins ate the best muffs
                      Peltor Comtacs are 2nd

Catch the custom molded active electronic air pro is the best from what I can tell but they are quite expensive

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

These are far and away the BEST form of electronic hearing protection money can buy. Been using them for many, many years... Mine are the old analog version, but still work great. The new digital devices are very nice. I have a friend who is a dealer and does the custom molds for them if you need it.

Comment

just use something like this

Extra-soft tapered foam pods; new band pressure is reduced by 50%; NRR 25dB; hangs easily down around user's neck with optional breakaway cord; 10 bands per box 100% PVC-Free New, higher NRR 25dB rating Independently tested to ANSI S3.19-1974 New, band pressure is reduced by 50% Extra soft tapered foam pods gently conform to the ear canal Ideal choice for intermittent usage Hangs down around the user's neck with optional breakaway neck cord Greater comfort and fit for increased compliance and convenience A cooler and lighter alternative to earmuffs Replacement pods available

hang it around your neck until you get ready to shoot

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                            just use something like this

Extra-soft tapered foam pods; new band pressure is reduced by 50%; NRR 25dB; hangs easily down around user's neck with optional breakaway cord; 10 bands per box 100% PVC-Free New, higher NRR 25dB rating Independently tested to ANSI S3.19-1974 New, band pressure is reduced by 50% Extra soft tapered foam pods gently conform to the ear canal Ideal choice for intermittent usage Hangs down around the user's neck with optional breakaway neck cord Greater comfort and fit for increased compliance and convenience A cooler and lighter alternative to earmuffs Replacement pods available

hang it around your neck until you get ready to shoot
                            I tried these and they work fine until you don't have time to get them in all the way. Happened to me in a blind with 14" Contender 7-30 Waters, was a real bell ringer.

Comment

Yeah, I never have used hearing protection hunting, but my hearing sucks anyway.

Fortunately, all the deer I killed this last season, the muzzle was outside of the blind and that helped some, it seems.

Comment

Working...
                              X