Smithville Hunting Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smithville Hunting Questions

For those that don't want the long story I just got access to a couple hundred acres off the Colorado just outside of Smithville and my questions are: When is the rut? What can I expect as far as bucks? Any suggestions for hunting the area? What are the regulations on hunting out there? 13" rule, does during archery, Thanksgiving and youth?

And now the longer story. So a cousin of mine just texted me and asked when I was going to come get rid of hogs for him on his place. He doesn't hunt and wants them gone. I had previously talked about going out there and maybe shooting some at night to help him out. And coincidentally my new Wraith 4k Max just arrived today. So, time permitting it is on!

But here is where it gets good, he also said he wanted me to get rid of some deer for him. He hates them as they keep destroying the pecan trees he has been planting. I went from 6 to 12 real quick. He has another friend with little to no hunting experience that has set up a feeder but other than that there has been no hunting out there.

The place is just off the Colorado and I think is a couple hundred acres. I have been out there once and we saw quite a few deer but it was early summer so no horns yet. What can I expect as far as bucks out there? I'm guessing 120 max with an occasional stud? Also, when is the rut? I have never hunted that area so I have no clue. Any other suggestions on hunting that area? I'm thinking about setting up a popup or 2 and maybe another feeder. I also want to get a camera or 2 out there.

And finally I want to make sure I'm clear on regulations. It is bucks any time but they have to meet the 13" rule. Is that correct? And on does I can either shoot them with a bow during archery only season, Thanksgiving weekend with a rifle or youth weekend with a rifle (kids, not me). Is that correct? My biggest clarification would be that I can't shoot a doe with a bow during regular season correct? Assuming archery can I shoot multiple does?

You can kill a 13" or greater buck in Archery or General season or ML. Does only in archery and I think the special new 4 day period.

As far as what to expect, if you're down around the river, and it's a good piece of property, you could run into some really big deer down there potentially. Yeah a lot that might be small, but those river bottom bucks can get big if they are allowed to age. Just look up that big ole buck that got poached in Tahitian for a reference of what's possible lol

Comment

Originally posted by ATX Tyler View Post
      You can kill a 13" or greater buck in Archery or General season or ML. Does only in archery and I think the special new 4 day period.

As far as what to expect, if you're down around the river, and it's a good piece of property, you could run into some really big deer down there potentially. Yeah a lot that might be small, but those river bottom bucks can get big if they are allowed to age. Just look up that big ole buck that got poached in Tahitian for a reference of what's possible lol
      Ain’t that the truth! that was a stud, but even more so for the area he came from.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I think it is a good area as the neighbors have cleared a lot of land and my cousin hasn't. So, I think he is holding quite a few deer. I don't know if the previous owners hunted it but he has owned if for a couple of years and hasn't hunted it so there has been very little pressure and there could be some mature deer. If nothing else I will get rid of a few does for him and fill the freezer.

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
          Thanks for the info. I think it is a good area as the neighbors have cleared a lot of land and my cousin hasn't. So, I think he is holding quite a few deer. I don't know if the previous owners hunted it but he has owned if for a couple of years and hasn't hunted it so there has been very little pressure and there could be some mature deer. If nothing else I will get rid of a few does for him and fill the freezer.
          I’m willing to bet you’ll be pleasantly surprised at what you see

Comment

I'm in the area a lot, happy to come help pick some stand locations out and knock down some of those hogs
            Jokes aside, hunt it right and get some cameras out, and I would not be surprised at all to see some very good bucks on it. Rut action always seems to be around veterans day for me in Bastrop county.

Comment

I'm in the area a lot, happy to come help pick some stand locations out and knock down some of those hogs
              Jokes aside, hunt it right and get some cameras out, and I would not be surprised at all to see some very good bucks on it. Rut action always seems to be around veterans day for me in Bastrop county.
              Thanks for the info, especially about the rut. I ordered 2 popups, 2 cameras and a feeder last night to try to set up this weekend. And as I said there is already a feeder there.

Hopefully I can get a shot at a deer this weekend but being an hour away I think I can get in the stand by 6 before the time changes on week nights.

Comment

I have lived in Smithville all my life and I have friends with property on the river around Upton. Are you upstream or down stream of town? My friends place is loaded with hogs and does. The bucks have good potential, but they get hammered pretty hard. My parents have some land outside of town toward Kovar. We don't have the numbers of deer that they have by the river, but we seem to have better horns.

Comment

What deer was this? Link??

Comment

Yeah, I would be pretty pumped about that place. Lots of good deer come off the Colorado River. I hunted a small tract on the river many years ago and had an upper 150s on camera. Never could seal the deal on him.

Comment

My good buddy took this one on 7 acres in smithville. He passed on a pair of 4 1/2 old bucks; a 10 and a 9. They both were pushing 135+. Hoping to get one of them on the ground this season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Eastwood View Post
                        I have lived in Smithville all my life and I have friends with property on the river around Upton. Are you upstream or down stream of town? My friends place is loaded with hogs and does. The bucks have good potential, but they get hammered pretty hard. My parents have some land outside of town toward Kovar. We don't have the numbers of deer that they have by the river, but we seem to have better horns.
                        I will be downstream of town out of Loop Road.

Comment

Originally posted by buckhunter1999 View Post

My good buddy took this one on 7 acres in smithville. He passed on a pair of 4 1/2 old bucks; a 10 and a 9. They both were pushing 135+. Hoping to get one of them on the ground this season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Something like that would definitely be a bonus in all of that. My cousin said they see a group of about 6 8's and 10's that he thinks are all legal. We will see once I get out there and get some cameras set up.

Comment

I will be downstream of town out of Loop Road.
                            Ok, I have another friend who's family had about 300 acres on loop road. They have since sold it, but he always had lots of deer. You won't have any problem filling a tag.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastwood View Post
                              Ok, I have another friend who's family had about 300 acres on loop road. They have since sold it, but he always had lots of deer. You won't have any problem filling a tag.
                              How long ago did they sell? My cousin has had it a little over a year. I wonder if it could be the same place.

Yeah, I don't think seeing deer will be a problem. He says they see them all the time and he wants them gone because they are tearing up his newly planted trees. They have had no pressure and are somewhat used to people. The biggest issue will be getting set up and hunting with only 2+ weeks left before the end of Archery..

Comment

Working...
                              X