Pastora for KR Bluestem, sandburrs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastora for KR Bluestem, sandburrs

This spring, for the first time, I'm going to try to treat our large front yard (120' X 50') with Pastora for sandburrs and the notorious King Ranch Bluestem. I have quite a bit of experience with herbicides - have a pesticide license, and have worked with other chemicals like 2,4-d, and some others. But this is my first time with Pastora.

Any tips on using this stuff? I understand you have to apply it at JUST the right time or it won't work. Can I treat for sandburrs and KRB with the same spraying?

The stuff is expensive - $100+ for a little 5" box of powder!

Still waiting for results. If any.

Comment

No experience with Pastora but will
      Be interested to know how it worked for you.

Comment

I have been told there is something you put down in February, that kills grass burrs, but have not been told what the name of the product is. I was told to go to the feed store, they would know what it is.

But then I have been told to fertilize the soil thoroughly and that will get rid of the grass burrs also. I have been told many years ago, that grass burrs are a sign of poor soil quality. San Patricio ag department taught us that many years ago. But then I have had multiple people argue with that, saying that's not true. But just told again over the weekend it is true.

Comment

I've been wanting to try pastora as well.

I did use quite a bit of Pendulum this year and have had good feedback on sandburs not being as bad as normal.

It is a pre emergent

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Prowl is the preemergent herbicide to spray in February BUT it has to be in contact with bare soil!

Pastora works well but it has to be applied before the sandburs get too tall. >4".

Pendulum works well too but it will stunt Bermuda grass until it rains.

I've done this - fertilize!, fertilize! Sandburs are a sign of poor soil fertility. Get a soil test, add lime.

Shred in Nov / December or January to lower any dormant grasses. February, spray 2 pints glysophate per acre. It will kill any overwintering burs.

In late March early April (check soil temps) spray Pastora. (Hint - mix the powder really well in a gallon of water before putting in your tank. )

Within 3 days of cutting bermuda hay spray Pendulum. But be ready - you may not get another cutting.

I knocked out 95% sandburs in 1 year by doing this. You have to stay on top of it, though. The seeds can last 7 years.
            Last edited by Dusty Britches; 06-17-2020, 09:05 PM.

Comment

You can look up soil temps here:

Ag Soil Temps and Weather

Comment

I’ve done all of the above for the past 3 years. I finally feel like I’m making a difference. Pendulum seems to work well pre-emergent but you better get it out at the right times or you are wasting time. Mine are at my house, @3 acres of coastal in front and then .5 acre of centipede and now Bermuda around the house. I pull everything in the yard around the house and spray the area in front and side with the above mentioned products as well as MSMA for Bahia grass and it will kill sandburrs post emergent also.

Comment

We had our soil tested and were told it was good. We were also told to fertilize, fertilize, fertilize. It works but it seems to take several years for the healthier Bermuda to slowly beat the sticker burrs back.

We’ve applied a pre-emergent in the past but the stickers come up at different times each year that it’s tough to get the timing just right.

I wonder if a well-timed controlled burn might work, particularly on the larger patches. Anyone tried this?

Comment

no need for lime on central Texas you will more than likely need sulfur or acid in the water

but soil test will tell and if that says it is OK then good to go there

Comment

Sandbur proliferation can be related to poor soil quality. But, it also responds positively to drought conditions. It's one of those plants that mother nature uses to respond to overall poor environmental conditions to prevent erosion during bad times (similar to goatweed). During good environmental conditions, on unstressed range, sandbur is rarely problematic as good native vegetation easily outcompetes the sandbur. But, when soil nutrients are depleted (common in yards, hay fields, and heavily grazed pastures), combined with limited precipitation, sandbur can get out of hand.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                        I wonder if a well-timed controlled burn might work, particularly on the larger patches. Anyone tried this?
                        No, burning will not work and could make it worse by exposing more soil. The fire will not get hot enough to destroy the seed heads.

(For the record, we tried that.)

Sandburs need a comprehensive control plan - pre-emerge, post emerge, and post cut. And improved soil fertility. And anyone who says your soil fertility is good and you don't need amendments is lying to you.

I sure wish Dave would comment.

Comment

Although the last few years have been fairly good in terms of precipitation, the drought-like conditions we’ve incurred over the last ten years have taken their toll. Add that to that fact that ever since we bought the place (25-ish years ago) we’ve been doing our best to reinvigorate pastures that had been over-grazed and neglected for years, so everything you’re saying makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                            No, burning will not work and could make it worse by exposing more soil. The fire will not get hot enough to destroy the seed heads.

(For the record, we tried that.)

Sandburs need a comprehensive control plan - pre-emerge, post emerge, and post cut. And improved soil fertility. And anyone who says your soil fertility is good and you don't need amendments is lying to you.

I sure wish Dave would comment.
                            Weird. When we built it was in the middle of a pasture. Sandburs were absolutely insane the first year. I burned the yard in early February and it sounded like popcorn. Sandburs were nearly as bad the that summer. Burned the yard again in February and may have had 2 or 3 pop up that summer I just pulled. Never had another problem and I don't fertilize....not looking to make the grass grow and create more work for myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                              Prowl is the preemergent herbicide to spray in February BUT it has to be in contact with bare soil!

Pastora works well but it has to be applied before the sandburs get too tall. >4".

Pendulum works well too but it will stunt Bermuda grass until it rains.

I've done this - fertilize!, fertilize! Sandburs are a sign of poor soil fertility. Get a soil test, add lime.

Shred in Nov / December or January to lower any dormant grasses. February, spray 2 pints glysophate per acre. It will kill any overwintering burs.

In late March early April (check soil temps) spray Pastora. (Hint - mix the powder really well in a gallon of water before putting in your tank. )

Within 3 days of cutting bermuda hay spray Pendulum. But be ready - you may not get another cutting.

I knocked out 95% sandburs in 1 year by doing this. You have to stay on top of it, though. The seeds can last 7 years.
                              Pendulum shouldn't affect Bermuda?

You spray it when the Bermuda is dormant, if you spray it when Bermuda is greening up it is too late to use as a pre emergent on sandburs anyway.

I used I dont know how many gallons of pendulum this year and the Bermuda is kicking butt everywhere I used it.

You know your stuff I can tell, so I'm not implying you're wrong. I just haven't seen a negative impact using it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X