Hornady bullet Fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hornady bullet Fail

I was shooting my CZ 22 hornet the other evening and on the second shot I felt something hit my face. I thought that was weird, as I opened the bolt a strange amount of smoke came out of the chamber/bolt area. I bent down and picked up my casings to toss in the brush and noticed the bullet below. I looked in the chamber and the small primer was sitting there. I've never had this happened before and was wondering what caused it. The bullet is a hornady varmint express 35 grain v-max Lot #3183678
    Attached Files

Reload? Pretty easy to do if you over ream cleaning the primer pockets...

Comment

The round fired and the primer popped out when you ejected the spent round?

Comment

These are not reloads, I bought the box at academy

Comment

That looks like a popped primer. It's possible the primer wasn't seated fully (high primer) and when the bolt closed it discharged before it was sealed, causing blowback to your face. With millions of rounds produced daily, I'm sure a few get past quality checks.

Since you have it and the lot number, contact Hornady and send it to them. They will like to know

Comment

You might want to contact Hornady...likely just a fluke with either the primer and-or the primer pocket being out of spec. Hard to tell but Primer doesn't look flat/bulged so I don't think it's a pressure issue.

Watch the balance closely & quiet shooting if you see another.

Comment

Did the bullet clear the barrel?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pistol View Post
                That looks like a popped primer. It's possible the primer wasn't seated fully (high primer) and when the bolt closed it discharged before it was sealed, causing blowback to your face. With millions of rounds produced daily, I'm sure a few get past quality checks.

Since you have it and the lot number, contact Hornady and send it to them. They will like to know
                This--------

Comment

Did the bullet clear the barrel?
                  The bullet shot, I loaded two rounds and was aiming at a prickly pear. I fired the first round, it hit the pear pad, I chambered another round and fired thats when I felt the blowback and noticed the excess smoke as I was working the bolt. To be honest I didnt look to see where the second shot hit, I was distracted by what I just felt and looking at the casing.

Comment

Hornady cost my daughter a 135” at 10 yards... click

Over rated junk in every caliber I’ve shot it in

Comment

Is the flash hole supposed to centered?

Comment

Definitely a problem with the round. Possibly loaded too hot. The primer flash hole looks a bit large for a small primer case. If the flash hole is too large that could result in too much high pressure gas back to the primer. One way or another, it's a Hornady problem.

Comment

How did you feel blowback if the bolt was closed? Then, again I am not a gun xpert in any form or fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                            How did you feel blowback if the bolt was closed? Then, again I am not a gun xpert in any form or fashion.
                            That's why I think it was a high primer, which will cause a "slam fire" discharge when the bolt is closing. Since the chamber isn't sealed, blowback from the discharge through the unsealed chamber can result

Comment

Originally posted by Pistol View Post
                              That's why I think it was a high primer, which will cause a "slam fire" discharge when the bolt is closing. Since the chamber isn't sealed, blowback from the discharge through the unsealed chamber can result
                              I understand what you're saying, but I thought he said he fired the second round, not that it fired upon bolt closing.

Comment

Working...
                              X