Video compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video compression

I'm not well schooled in video compression. I have some pics of options out of my editing program that if possible I would like some insight to. The program is Pinnacle Studio v10.

When I complete the editing process I make two clips, high quality which remains on my computer due to size and a smaller one for the web. I would like the web copy to be the highest quality possible while holding down the size.

I appreciate any advise on this.

...I would like the web copy to be the highest quality possible while holding down the size...
    Therein lies the question!

Seriously, anytime you increase the quality of your videos for the web, you are also going to increase their file size. I am not familiar with Pinnacle, but the export menu options look somewhat similar to what Adobe Premier uses. Using the Variable Bit Rate (VBR) is a must and will smooth out any movement you have in your video creating a sharper image.

One other thing is that you may want to do a google search to see if there is a Windows Media 9 plug-in for Pinnacle to update your export settings. If I remember correctly, the compression settings for Adobe using the Windows Media 8 plug-in would not produce as clear of video as the newer, Windows Media 9 plugin.

One other thing to check, is whether or not you have the option to set the resolution of your video. (i.e., 640x480 pixels (large) or 320 x240 pixels (smaller) for 4:3 aspect and 640x360 pixels (large) or 320x180 pixels (smaller) for 16:9 widescreen videos). You can customize any of these resolutions, as long as you keep the pixel aspect ratio the same (4:3, or 16:9).

Someone with more experience using Pinnacle can probably chime in and let us know what other settings options are available. Let us know what you find out...there are probably several others with some of the same questions out there.

Comment

What I have decided on my pinnacle software is to use the highest settings. I see it like this.... I have dial up at home and get a max speed of 24kbps-super slow speed to me and I can not download even short clips without taking forever. I give up on downloading on dial up. With DSL even the slowest speeds will open the average clip pretty quick and play it with no problems. So....if someone is going to open a video that is several min. or so then they must have DSL or similar speed or they would never waste time to download on dial up for hours at a time.

I have also in the past put together a shot clip only that is just a few seconds in length and render in low quality for people on dial up and then in the thread I post the full video, and then dial up friendly version of the shot.

Comment

Good info, Wade. Also, you might see if Pinnacle has the capability to reduce the frame rate from the standard 30/sec. In some cases (i/e, if there's not a lot of motion or movement) you can lower the frame rate to 15-20 to lower file size, though again it's at the sacrifice of some quality.

J.T. makes a great point, too. I've pretty much adopted the same philosophy about targeting videos toward broadband users rather than dial-up users. I have dialup at "home", and no longer waste time attempting to download videos on the web. I'll wait til I get to the office where we have higher speed. I usually try to keep my videos in the 6-10 meg range, if possible.

Michael
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Pinnacle does have the ability to lower the frame rate.

Comment

Thank you all for the good information.

Blackjack (I miss names being in the profiles) it appears from what you are saying I should be choosing a setting in the 3rd image (VBR).

Comment

I miss the names in profiles as well...

The VBR options will really help if there is much motion in your video (ie, panning with the animal, some shakey footage, etc.)...under the "constant bit-rate" any motion will get very pixelated until the scene "settles down" again with not so much motion.

For static videos, where the camera is not doing much panning, one of the other settings should work just fine.

-Wade

Comment

A column has been added to allow you to enter your full name in your profile.

Michael
                My Flickr Photos

Comment

Thanks Wade, get to learn something everyday. I did a video of my mom and dads 50th anniversary get together and used the VBR to finalize and it came out great. Looks like a little re-editing is order.

Thanks Michael, saw that last week and added mine. Hope others will as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X