No announcement yet.

How do you smoke a turkey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've done them the past 2 years (along with baking hens) and they turned out great, in an electric smoker. I haven't tried to brine them, but both turned out very juicy without doing it. Not sure why, but I've been told to make sure the bird is dry first. I inject with Tony Chachere's creole butter. Cover the outside with Tony Chachere's creole seasoning. 2 sticks of butter inside the body cavity. I put it in a baking pan and place on the top rack. Set the temp at 250 for the first couple hours, then jack it up to 265. I only fill the chip tray one time with apple chips I've soaked in water. Once the breast reaches 165, they're done.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Cajun butter injection and don't over cook. Breast 165.

Comment

I use an electric Masterbuilt smoker from Academy. Last year I smoked a turkey for Thanksgiving and one for Christmas, both were amazing. And I have never cooked a turkey before.

The procedure with this smoker. Season the turkey with a family seasoning, pre-heat to 225 degrees, add water to the water pan to the max level, cooked the bird 30 minutes per pound. Also, I added Hickory pellets every couple of hours.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
          It won't look like a traditional turkey, but when I smoke them I always part them out into the breast plate, and then 2 "quarters" (not really quarters) to allow me to pull parts that cook faster.
          When my husband said he saw a video like this and described it to me I looked at him like he was nuts. But he said it is supposed to promote more even smoking.

Thanks.

Comment

Thank y'all! I see the main things of each of these suggestions is the same -

Brine for 24 hours, cook for 3-6 hours between 235-325 (hotter temps, faster time)

Put legs toward the heat

Remove the back and break or remove the breast bone to lay flat.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
              Thank y'all! I see the main things of each of these suggestions is the same -

Brine for 24 hours, cook for 3-6 hours between 235-325 (hotter temps, faster time)

Put legs toward the heat

Remove the back and break or remove the breast bone to lay flat.
              Don't let the higher temps scare you. Crank it up.

Hoggslayer

Comment

Beer Can it!!!!
                For real i have a cast iron beer can thing holder from HEB.

Instead of beer use Barqs root beer, and the green tony cheshire seasoning. So good, smoke low and slow for 3-6 hours depending on size. Till cooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                  Everything i've smoked I have used this website. You won't go wrong with any of the recipes.

https://www.smoking-meat.com/tag/turkey
                  Thanks, there are some good recipes on there

Comment

I spatchcock them, which is cut out the back bone and then you can lay the bird out flat. It heats more evenly. You'll need a heavy pair of shears to cut out the backbone, seems like I break a pair every year, plan on using a saw this year.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleB20 View Post
                      I spatchcock them, which is cut out the back bone and then you can lay the bird out flat. It heats more evenly. You'll need a heavy pair of shears to cut out the backbone, seems like I break a pair every year, plan on using a saw this year.
                      These work great.

Hoggslayer

Comment

Brine, spatchcock, rub, and cook hot and fast using red oak. I run my pit around 325 until probe in thigh reads 165. Rest on a cookie sheet under tented foil until ready to carve. I cooked 2 like this last year and they got hammered.

Comment

I'm going to try Spatchcooking them this year. So, how long will it take a 12 pound turkey to reach 165 degrees?

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                            I'm going to try Spatchcooking them this year. So, how long will it take a 12 pound turkey to reach 165 degrees?
                            Probably less than 2 hours.

Hoggslayer

Comment

TY!

Comment

3 1/2'' number 5's for half a second!

Comment

Working...
                                X