Air Compressor Storage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Compressor Storage?

So I got into a discussion with someone about how to store air compressors. You see... a friend of a friend had an air compressor in their garage - you know the big vertical, non- portable, kind? It blew up and thankfully did not kill him but the explosion was so loud it blew out both of his ear drums causing permanent and complete hearing loss. My hypothesis was he didn't drain his tank and it rusted creating an unsafe compressor.

So that led to - what is the proper way to store an air compressor? I typically drain the air from the plug at the bottom, completely and then close the valve. My husband drains the tank by blowing out all of the air through the hose (which I KNOW is not right). The other person said they drain the compressor through the plug but leave it open until the next use. My problem with that is wasps and bugs get in the opening.

Since I value my life and hearing, what is the best way to store an air compressor? In particular - the portable ones - pancake and wheeled.

Wow! You officially have my attention - following....

Comment

I just drain it and put plug back in soon after. Tire shops generally keep the big stationary compressors behind the building for more than one reason. You could always build a tight outdoor cabinet for a large compressor. But make it easily accessible for maintenance.

I drain my portables after every use.

Comment

I leave the drain cracked up all the time .

Comment

I drain my garage compressor pretty much after each use, after reading this I'll try to drain after each use, heck I can't hear as-is.

Comment

The proper way to drain an air compressor is turn it off and bleed off the air to 15lbs and then open bottom valve/plug and drain the water out until all gone. If the compressor is used often then it should be done at least once a week. I actually just had to write a procedure on this at work not long ago. If you have extra holding tanks as we do the same applies to them also.

Comment

Originally posted by Worksalot View Post
              I just drain it and put plug back in soon after. Tire shops generally keep the big stationary compressors behind the building for more than one reason. You could always build a tight outdoor cabinet for a large compressor. But make it easily accessible for maintenance.

I drain my portables after every use.
              I wouldn't recommend making a tight cabinet as most air compressor are air cooled, if you do this it needs to be well ventilated.

Comment

Most stationary compressors have auto drains to handle this. Yes you should bleed the water out from the bottom on a regular basis on your portables. Most have the drain valve like the old radiator drains. Just crack it open until the water is all out.

Comment

The directions on mine specifically say to store vertical and drain after every use

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

My small compressors get drained after every use and the drains stay open. They are stored in garages and enclosed trailers though so dirt daubers, etc aren’t an issue. You could put a piece of window screen and a rubber band around it if you’re worried.

My 60 gallon compressor stays charged up and gets the valve cracked every few weeks or when it’s used a lot to drain the water off. I never empty it. If you don’t have chunks of rust clogging the drain or coming out through the plug hole it shouldn’t be rusting enough to damage it structurally.

Comment

Well I just came in from the garage after draining mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well shoot- I didn’t know about the drain. I release the pressure after every use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
                          Wow! You officially have my attention - following....
                          I'm right there with you. After my recent flooring project I was thinking about getting a better air compressor.

Comment

Have a 85 gallon at work and we drain it daily and still get about 1/8 cup of water out of it

Comment

all air tanks will have a bleed valve at the bottom. crack it open for a small leak of water. and keep it open all the time. if you worry about water on the floor. take off the factory bleed type. replace it with 1/8 or 1/4 brass. run a hose outside to vent any water. I have seen tanks 20 plus years old and ones that failed after just 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X