Kid Football Coaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NannySlayer View Post
    This is what I included in an email to the Director of Football.

“Thomas is one of the youngest on his team and doesn't comprehend a lot things when it comes to football strategy. I've attempted to help the coaches during practices I've attended and in particular, Thomas, when it's his turn to run thru a play. The coaches have seen how Thomas receives motivation from me and it increases his performance. I understand we are dealing with 6-8 year olds but the unenthusiastic level of coaching is noticed throughout all of the parents. Thomas was trained to be defensive lineman/tackle and punt return. When coaches on the sideline call for defense or punt return, Thomas does not recognize that it's his time to go on the field and run a play. Thomas has averaged 3-4 plays a game this entire season. Todays game at White Settlement, Thomas was only on the field for 2 plays. At half time at some of the games, I have spoken to coaches (Brandon, Jeremiah, and Red) advising them that Thomas has not been in the game and he does not recognize when it is his turn to play. I suggested that they need to specifically pluck him off the sidelines and put him on the field. Thomas has also been talked to at every game and advised to go to the coaches on the sideline and ask to be placed in the game. Coach Neil and Coach Mike have pointed out to me that Thomas asks to play the game. I know my kid isn't the best but at practice when he does successfully tackle, he is so excited. I want him to experience that at the game as well and I don't feel like he has been given the chance. “
    From what you have written here - I would have him watch a lot more football, and explain what he is seeing. Have to take the initiative.

I can imagine there are about 20 kids on this team?

Comment

I have seen too much BS, **** poor coaching, and parents living thru their kids to ever sign up to coach that or have my kids in it. And I have plenty of coaching experience at all levels.

I have nothing but a bad rap for all of it. I see them every week practice on our fields and its terrible.

No discipline and its all $$$ ball.

Its 5-12 year old youth football. Its not the Superbowl or Varisty football. No matter what the coaches call it

Comment

“Thomas is one of the youngest on his team and doesn't comprehend a lot things when it comes to football strategy. I've attempted to help the coaches during practices I've attended and in particular, Thomas, when it's his turn to run thru a play. The coaches have seen how Thomas receives motivation from me and it increases his performance. I understand we are dealing with 6-8 year olds but the unenthusiastic level of coaching is noticed throughout all of the parents. Thomas was trained to be defensive lineman/tackle and punt return. When coaches on the sideline call for defense or punt return, Thomas does not recognize that it's his time to go on the field and run a play. Thomas has averaged 3-4 plays a game this entire season. Todays game at White Settlement, Thomas was only on the field for 2 plays. At half time at some of the games, I have spoken to coaches (Brandon, Jeremiah, and Red) advising them that Thomas has not been in the game and he does not recognize when it is his turn to play. I suggested that they need to specifically pluck him off the sidelines and put him on the field. Thomas has also been talked to at every game and advised to go to the coaches on the sideline and ask to be placed in the game. Coach Neil and Coach Mike have pointed out to me that Thomas asks to play the game. I know my kid isn't the best but at practice when he does successfully tackle, he is so excited. I want him to experience that at the game as well and I don't feel like he has been given the chance. “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Like I always tell parents who try to coach from the sideline and throw their input and professional coaching into it: If you want to coach go sign up or go to school and coach.

And you are doing that

Its all different when you coach yourself and have to handle it all. Just be prepared for the same kind of parents not liking how you do it.

Comment

If you play to win you will be criticized. If you play for fun you will be criticized. Just be ready for both.

Comment

It"s a very rewarding community service! I love the kids, and loved the sport. I made some great friends coaching youth football, and baseball. It was so much fun to watch the kids grow up and follow them! Having played College ball, and having coaches, and other experienced players in the family, the easy part was teaching fundamentals, establishing a nice routine with practice, and knowing how to set up plays during the game. The absolute most important part of the job is establishing trust with the kids. I don't care the age, they will figure out real quick if you are genuine. If they know you are there for them, and love being there for them, your job will be much easier. Make sure your passion is genuine and sincere for the whole deal! Surround yourself with the same type of coaches, and it can be a very fun experience for everyone.
            Also, kids can learn as much as you want to teach them. They aren't too young to learn cool plays! They are very smart, and love knowing they do things other teams aren't doing! Good luck!

Comment

I would be looking for a new organization to play in or a different team to play on in the same organization. I'm on the board of a youth football organization. We have minimum play rule - usually runs between 10-15 plays per game depending on how many kids are on a team. Volunteers from both teams work the field and mark down how many plays up to the min each kid gets. Once they get the minimums its up to the coach. If a kid doesn't have his mins by the start of the 4th quarter he starts the quarter and plays as many plays as it takes to get him to the min. At that age level each kid should get well over the mins. At that age, not many kids have to stones to ask for playing time and nor should they have too. Best of luck to you and Thomas. Its hard to love the game when you don't actually get to play.

Comment

Yep. These will be the emails you’ll get. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                  Are you out of your mind??

[emoji590]

Comment

I found when I coached it was more about me babysitting the parents then the kids. Oh and I still have parents asking why lil johnny never got a trophy for last place 5 years ago.

Comment

Yep. These will be the emails you’ll get. Lol
                      I bet you were some kinda sexy in those old school coaching shorts

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
                        I bet you were some kinda sexy in those old school coaching shorts
                        I be he still has em.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                          I bet he’s still sexy.
                          You dang skippy!!!

Comment

You dang skippy!!!
                            You wear them to bingo night?

Comment

You dang skippy!!!