No announcement yet.

Hagerman Hunting Program- Seeking Public Comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afternoon bump, did a few miles at Hagerman today scouting for November, big mineral, Sandy, and Goode!

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Doug. I’ll type up a letter Sunday evening.

Comment

Originally posted by rossivey View Post
        I talked to Gail back in May and didn't get the feeling that they opposed the new change in allowing TPWD to conduct the drawing. I'm not sure I like the thought of it. I'm afraid there may be a ton more of entries if they open it up thru the license buying system.
        I don't know they have a beef with tpwd handling the draw, the problem is with the rule changes that go along with it, no bowhunter ed required to apply, crossbows now allowed for anyone. Two additional unknowns, will proficiency testing no longer be required, and what happens to golden tickets. I'm not sure it they would have control of unit rotation either, the entire refuge may be fair game to be hunted...
        Last edited by bossbowman; 09-30-2018, 11:09 AM.

Comment

If they do go with the state rules on archery equipment I could see them moving all three segments into october so traditional/compound bow must be used by those without medical waiver, that is still the rule in the archery only counties, crossbow use is only allowed during general season.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
            If they do go with the state rules on archery equipment I could see them moving all three segments into october so traditional/compound bow must be used by those without medical waiver, that is still the rule in the archery only counties, crossbow use is only allowed during general season.
            plus, I think they have really come up with a great preference point system ... much better than just an extra entry in the bucket. I expect that moving to tpwd would blow that up

Comment

Originally posted by boomerball View Post
              plus, I think they have really come up with a great preference point system ... much better than just an extra entry in the bucket. I expect that moving to tpwd would blow that up
              Yes I like the H preference point system much better, with TPWD would adopt it for all their draw hunts.

Comment

Thanks for the bumps Boss and boomer, all good points, and a Sunday afternoon bump.

Comment

Does anyone know what brought this about? Why? Why all of a sudden do they want to turn it over to TPWD? Is the H staff tired of messing with it? It will be a game changer for sure. I don't see them keeping the bow ed, proficiency test, or golden ticket. None of the other state draw hunts have that. Preference points will just be like they are for the hunt type. I plan to send a letter, but it seems its a done deal. They just want input on modifying things, not to keep it like it is. Idk. All good things must end I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                    Afternoon bump, did a few miles at Hagerman today scouting for November, big mineral, Sandy, and Goode!
                    Not being a wise guy here, but just trying to save you some headache and heartache, but Big Min. and Sandy aren't open this year. Its Goode,Meyers, and Harris.

Comment

Originally posted by tef View Post
                      Not being a wise guy here, but just trying to save you some headache and heartache, but Big Min. and Sandy aren't open this year. Its Goode,Meyers, and Harris.
                      Maybe he’s trying to throw everyone off...

Comment

I've thrown one off. I should have stated big mineral, sandy and godwin.

Comment

Originally posted by tef View Post
                          Does anyone know what brought this about? Why? Why all of a sudden do they want to turn it over to TPWD? Is the H staff tired of messing with it? It will be a game changer for sure. I don't see them keeping the bow ed, proficiency test, or golden ticket. None of the other state draw hunts have that. Preference points will just be like they are for the hunt type. I plan to send a letter, but it seems its a done deal. They just want input on modifying things, not to keep it like it is. Idk. All good things must end I guess.
                          Its buried on here somewhere in the campfire or in the public land section, I read it. It came down from the federal level that states must handle the draws on NWR lands. It had something to do as retaliation against Trump wanting to open up the possibility to sell off some of the federal land out west if I understood it correctly, I think that has since quieted down.

Comment

Should be detailed in this thread- https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...light=hagerman

Comment

Letter going out in the morning. Not sure what our comments will do, or if they will even reconsider the change but we can at least try.

Comment

I agree Tef, any response is better than no response.

Comment

Working...
                                X