Water buffalo arrow setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water buffalo arrow setup?

What arrow setup have you used to take down water buffalo? I might go on one in the near future. I have a Mathews chill shooting 68lbs. My current arrow is about 430grains.

What arrow would you recommend?

I used a weight tube & a 145 gr. Zwicky no mercy
    It did great broke rib in & out fletchings hung on exit side almost a pass thru
    Total arrow weight was a bit over 600 gr
    Last edited by bigmike; 01-03-2018, 01:51 PM.

Comment

At least a 550 grain arrow

Comment

Got my cape buffalo and bison with Grizzly Sticks with single bevel Masai broadheads......around 925 grains total!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

You can also PM DiamondS (Scott) on here and he can help you out

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
            Got my cape buffalo and bison with Grizzly Sticks with single bevel Masai broadheads......around 925 grains total!!!

Ho Lee Shiat! Bet that arra was a fireball!

Comment

I shot my asiatic water buffalo and Cape buffalo with a 900 grain total weight arrow and broadhead package. Bow was a 90 lb bowtech. Penetration past the fletching on asiatic and to fletchings on cape. Both at 30 yards. I used gold tip big game 100+ shafts with a weight tube, 100 grain steel insert jb welded in to a stos 160 grain head.

For the real big stuff I shot 94 lb Athens and a 1250 grain arrow and a 300 grain Ashby up front. Killed a hippo with it.

I would go 850 grains and try to get to 70-75 lbs of draw weight. Look at Alaska Bowhunting and give them a call. Easiest way to get there!

Comment

Shoot for a mass weight of around 750, more the better. I would also look at building and EFOC arrow tipped with a single bevel two blade for added insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Alaskan Bowhunting and Grizzly Stick are the same folks. Garrett Sleith is setting up now at the DSC show......great guy and will get you squared away without blinking an eye.

Comment

I took a bison with one Easton epic 340 and a 125 grain slick trick out of a 65 lb Mathews Drenalin.

Comment

Originally posted by bowsticker View Post
                      You can also PM DiamondS (Scott) on here and he can help you out

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                        Alaskan Bowhunting and Grizzly Stick are the same folks. Garrett Sleith is setting up now at the DSC show......great guy and will get you squared away without blinking an eye.

This.

Garrett will most likely suggest a 900-950 grain set up.

I killed my Cape with a 950 grain total weight arrow with a draw weight of 70lbs. The broadhead of choice was a 315 grain Ed Ashby single bevel. It was moving at a blistering 211 fps, but it buried all the way up to the crest on the arrow.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips guys. I ended up calling Garrett and he got me set up with a 650 arrow but with a 315 Nanook instead of the standard 200. This will bring the total weight up to 765gr

Comment

I killed 5 of them in Australia with a 980 grain arrow and a 200 grain GK head

Comment

Working...
                            X