Reform school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reform school

Does anyone know of any good reform school around the Houston area?

I can't help you because I am not really sure what a reform school is. My mother threatened to send me to one back in the sixties, but she never divulged the location.

Perhaps you can call the folks at West Texas Boys Ranch and they can steer you to someone closer to Houston. Or maybe that would be a good place to send whoever is needing some redirection. I know that they have made good men out of a hundreds of troubled teens.

Comment

Back in the 50s & 60s it was at Gatesville. Women's correctional facility now. I know a few boys that went there but it didn't seem to reform some of them.

Comment

Originally posted by bige18675 View Post
        Does anyone know of any good reform school around the Houston area?
        I could see if my Dad's busy.....he'd fix your problem in a hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
          I could see if my Dad's busy.....he'd fix your problem in a hurry.
          Bwhahaha!

Comment

Military school.

Comment

I was told several times that I would be shipped off to reform school. I don't really know of one. I haven't heard that term in a long time. The movie bad boys with Sean Penn that's what I always thought a reform school would be like.

Comment

Look into Texas Challenge Academy high school which is a National Guard program. It's in Eagle Lake.

Comment

I don't know how it is now but when I was a kid reform school is where you were ordered to go by a court if you were a young and incorrigible budding criminal. In junior high I knew a few troublemaker kids whose parents sent them off to military school. That's where kids went for some discipline if mom and dad couldn't handle them
                  Last edited by jerp; 04-03-2017, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Sometimes sending kids to stuff like that makes them worse. You're basically putting them in an environment with nothing but other troubled youth.

Comment

Second Texas Challenge Academy. I have a son there now. The have 2 locations running now. It is not a military school or a go here or go to jail school. It is a place for 16-18 y/o that are at risk of not graduating high school to get the opportunity to focus on academics and to get away from all the bad influences that keep them from completing school. It is a 51/2 month program. They can graduate with a GED and, if young enough, can get caught up on school credits to go back and graduate with a diploma. It has been the best choice my son has made. They deal with the whole student, not just a number on a grade sheet.

I am sure I am hunting, or thinking about hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
                        Second Texas Challenge Academy. I have a son there now. The have 2 locations running now. It is not a military school or a go here or go to jail school. It is a place for 16-18 y/o that are at risk of not graduating high school to get the opportunity to focus on academics and to get away from all the bad influences that keep them from completing school. It is a 51/2 month program. They can graduate with a GED and, if young enough, can get caught up on school credits to go back and graduate with a diploma. It has been the best choice my son has made. They deal with the whole student, not just a number on a grade sheet.

Exactly, our son is there now too, TCA East.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpy View Post
                          Sometimes sending kids to stuff like that makes them worse. You're basically putting them in an environment with nothing but other troubled youth.
                          X2

Comment

Hey NanR, my son is at TCA East. I forgot we saw a TBH sticker at drop of day in January....I believe a suburban.

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
                              Hey NanR, my son is at TCA East. I forgot we saw a TBH sticker at drop of day in January....I believe a suburban.

Yes, that was my Tahoe.

Comment

Working...
                              X