Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 06-07-2019, 01:21 PM   #201
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

I guess when you start behind, you don't ever catch up......
Attached Images

Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2019, 02:12 PM   #202
Tshelly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wechebuck View Post
Are you putting any fertilizer or lime down?

We limed last fall. Put some fertilizer out when we planted. We will burn this plot in the fall before planting winter crops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tshelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2019, 04:20 PM   #203
blatallic
Nubbin' Buck

I want to plant food plots in the fall. What do you guys do for the fall and when do you start planting?
blatallic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2019, 04:38 PM   #204
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by blatallic View Post
I want to plant food plots in the fall. What do you guys do for the fall and when do you start planting?
I usually plant wheat with Austrian winter peas or medium red clover. I plant in September, depending on moisture, either early or late. I think I'm mixing rye and wheat this year though.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:48 PM   #205
blatallic
Nubbin' Buck

Thanks... Plan on doing a few "poor man" plots. Can't wait.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:49 AM   #206
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Winter Wheat, brassicas(Rape), clover, the usual suspects.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2019, 06:21 AM   #207
Wechebuck
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshelly View Post
We limed last fall. Put some fertilizer out when we planted. We will burn this plot in the fall before planting winter crops

Appreciate the info.
Wechebuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2019, 12:15 PM   #208
blatallic
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
Winter Wheat, brassicas(Rape), clover, the usual suspects.
where do you usually get the seeds?
Old 06-09-2019, 09:59 AM   #209
Tshelly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee

Quote:

Your local feed store in late summer will be the best bet.

Tshelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2019, 07:53 PM   #210
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co

Food plots are up pretty good, I guess the deer have found something in it they like.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2019, 08:15 PM   #211
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
I buy a blend from my local feedstore. Some seed companies will take orders for specific blends. Whatever you can imagine.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2019, 07:11 AM   #212
SnJGuin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harrison

Is it too late to do a summer plot? If not what would be the best seed to throw?
SnJGuin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2019, 08:30 AM   #213
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnJGuin View Post
Is it too late to do a summer plot? If not what would be the best seed to throw?
I don’t think so. It’s probably past optimum time, but if you plant now, you’ll have the rest of the month, July, and August for it to grow which is plenty of time depending on rain/moisture. You can look at some of my pictures through the thread and see my plots progression over a short amount of time.

I’ve got one low spot that’s held too much moisture and the seeds didn’t take so I’m actually going out this weekend and replanting it. Don’t really “need” it there, but no more seed than it’s going to take, I’m going to anyway.

In my mix I’ve got cowpeas, soy bean, lab lab, sorghum, Sunflower, and okra.

Hancocks Seed online is where I’ve been buying mine. They’ve got several good mixes and then single bags of other seed you can throw in the mix as well if you wanted.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2019, 08:37 AM   #214
Maddox
Ten Point

Planning for Fall Question

So Im starting to plan for the Fall fields and have a question.

My PowerPlant and Turner Spring mix fields are growing really well, almost 5 ft tall now. These will die off on the first frost. The thing is, first frost isnít until late November in the Lufkin area. I can leave these fields as is if I wanted.

In my wide pine rows, I plan to mow, till, and plant Whitetail Institute No-Plow. Already purchased.

The question is with the fields, would you guys leave them or replant them with a winter plot?
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2019, 02:31 PM   #215
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox View Post
Planning for Fall Question

So Im starting to plan for the Fall fields and have a question.

My PowerPlant and Turner Spring mix fields are growing really well, almost 5 ft tall now. These will die off on the first frost. The thing is, first frost isnít until late November in the Lufkin area. I can leave these fields as is if I wanted.

In my wide pine rows, I plan to mow, till, and plant Whitetail Institute No-Plow. Already purchased.

The question is with the fields, would you guys leave them or replant them with a winter plot?
How much area do you have planted with Power Plant ? What's in the Spring Mix and how much area ?
Old 06-12-2019, 02:35 PM   #216
Maddox
Ten Point

Powerplant and Turner Spring mix close to the same blend. The fields are about 1/4 acre each (over seeded though, if that matters).

The pine rows are also planted in both, but are not growing as well because they are not getting the same amount of sun. They are still doing well though.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:35 PM   #217
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox View Post
Powerplant and Turner Spring mix close to the same blend. The fields are about 1/4 acre each (over seeded though, if that matters).

The pine rows are also planted in both, but are not growing as well because they are not getting the same amount of sun. They are still doing well though.
The only spring plots I've ever left were soybeans when they actually had beans. It was a good draw until after deer season. I planted Power Plant two years running but the hogs destroyed it. That was when it still had sorghum in it. They replaced the sorghum with sunn hemp a couple years ago so if I wanted to keep it, I might keep one plot and terminate the other and plant it to wheat, elbon rye, or a mix of both. Experimentation is good, as long as you have a standby that's proven.

I don't know how bad hogs are where you are, but when the beans begin to yellow, you can broadcast cereal grains into it and they will germinate as long as the hogs or birds don't get them. If you try that, plant heavy, as some of them will get eaten or just won't germinate. Guys that don't have hogs do that all the time, unfortunately I can't because I got pork out the wazoo !
Old 06-12-2019, 04:39 PM   #218
Maddox
Ten Point

I had nothing but pictures of hogs before I pinned in my feeders. Literally went one month with no pictures of deer and all pigs.

Since pinning in the feeders ive seen nothing but deer (not at the feeders but in the fields). 7 game cameras out and no pictures of pigs in three weeks. Hope they keep leaving the fields along.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:48 PM   #219
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

One place I hunt is in Trinity Co. and I had the same problem. Up to that time I had never penned a feeder except to keep cows out. I kept seeing threads on here about penning feeders so I penned mine. It made a world of difference ! Instead of hogs laying around sunbathing, sometimes 20/25 at a time, all the hogs would come through and get what few kernels threw outside and move on. The deer acclimated to the pens in about three days, so I immediately penned the feeders on my own place. Took the deer about a week there and hog traffic was just like in Trinity Co. They just did a drive-by. When deer season is over and we start night hunting hogs, we just pour some corn on the ground where we can hunt it on a couple different winds and kill them there. It's better because we can pour a line and sometimes get a twofer if they line up right.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:56 PM   #220
Maddox
Ten Point

Also in Trinity County (Apple Springs).

I made my pens 70’ in diameter so no corn goes out. I would prefer it if there were no pigs on the property and got quotes to put field fence on top of my barbed wite. Decided not to go that route yet. I am debating on two strands of electric fence around my property though.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:02 PM   #221
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

I'm just a few miles down the road from you. I hunt on Brushy Creek a few times a year, but it's too far for me to drive to hunt it much. When I go, I usually hunt three days during the week. I see more deer that way. When the quads and UTVs start rumbling in the mornings I see fewer deer. Wednesday through Friday is usually my thing. I've not shot a buck there in three years, but I've let a bunch walk that I would have killed at home before a goat can fart ! Down there, it's a jawdropper or nothing for me. I did let one crap on me year before last, but that's another story......
Old 06-17-2019, 06:21 AM   #222
SnJGuin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harrison

I got a few small plots done this weekend right before the rain came. So i"m hoping the timing was right. We'll see in a few weeks the results.
SnJGuin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top