Opinions on boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on boat

I'm looking to get a boat to fish/hunt brazos river. I will be putting in where highway 7 hits the brazos. I needle ample power as there is some current. Shaollw draft and light enough to push off sand bars or other obstacles should I encounter them. However I would like one stable enough that I do not flip while leaning over checking lines etc. so what would you recommend?
    Thank you.

18' Deep and wide aluminum

Comment

I always liked a flat bottom Jon boat for rivers. For real shallow water, a jet drive outboard or go devil mud motor. Not as efficient as a regular prop drive outboards but will get shallower. Because of efficiency of the jet drive bump the HP about 20% over what you think it will meed. Other than that a short shaft tiller outboard will be fine. And as always check craigs list.

Comment

check out jet boats of montana and jet boats of texas

Comment

Originally posted by DKirk View Post
          18' Deep and wide aluminum
          X2, what I used to have for river fishing was a 18' x 57" xpress with pods on the back, ran a 115HP yamaha with a jet drive mounted on double stacked hydraulic jack plates.

Never had an issue at all and could run easily in less than 6" of water all day.

One day I will have this identical rig again.

Comment

Having fished and hunted that area for years you will hard pressed to get very far for very long in anything but an airboat.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Prodigy boats

Comment

a 16-17' older Bass Tracker is what I'd look for.40-50hp

Comment

First off, I've never ran in the brazos down there, but looking to do it during duck season if you want to get together.

Second, a good wide aluminum is my favorite thing for that kind of stuff. I've had my old Cajun special for a long time. And it may not be as cool looking as the shallow water glass boats on the coast. But it will bounce over stuff, run just as skinny, and go anywhere without worrying about scratches.

17.5' mod v with a Jack plate and 70. Can run 40+ and get on step in about a foot.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                    a 16-17' older Bass Tracker is what I'd look for.40-50hp
                    True dat. My old pt175 50hp Merc would go in 18" water on trolling motor. Less if on pad.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. And to flex, heck yeah!! That would be awesome. From my understanding last couple of years this part of river not all that great. Any vegetation that was here was washed away w the river was up and running hard. But things should be looking better for this year. I wished I would have not sold airboat.

Comment

Originally posted by Aqckdude View Post
                        Thanks for the replies. And to flex, heck yeah!! That would be awesome. From my understanding last couple of years this part of river not all that great. Any vegetation that was here was washed away w the river was up and running hard. But things should be looking better for this year. I wished I would have not sold airboat.
                        I've never been on a boat in the river down there so no clue. Used to hunt a place on the river in riesel and do real well though. Send me a pm if you wanna get together and go down there.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Comment

Something that you can carry. Lots of shallow rock in that area.

Comment

16 ft Lowe flatbottom with 25 hp

Comment

Originally posted by Fooshman View Post
                              Something that you can carry. Lots of shallow rock in that area.
                              And steel and concrete.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X