Salt Lick Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salt Lick Cover

Ok so I know some of you will say that I am going way out of my way and wasting my time... But I like to build and tinker on things so here it goes.

I want to build a cover for a salt lick. The deer have taken to previous ones pretty good but so do the pigs! I also want to get it out of the elements and off the ground. I have posted a picture below to kinda show what I have in mind.

36" off the ground
    roof about 2' across
    roof about 1' above salt lick
    3 2x4s to hold up the roof

I would just drill a small hole on to the salt block to put it over the t-post. I will have it set up next to my next hunting area that is by a pond, they tore up the salt block there but about 300yds away at my other stand they barely touch it.

Thanks for all the input and if some people think it is really worth it I will update this thread with the build along!
    Attached Files

Seems roof is to close to salt lick if bucks horns might hot it they won't go for it. Hell my all seasons stand and fill they won't touch the corn under it. (Still waiting on them to finish the diversion plate for it instead of buying the new one). And it would need to be a good 3' or more for some of our pigs if they wanted it they would get it.

Comment

I think you have a good idea going, just need to put it together and work out the kinks. Is the roof too close to the block, is the block high enough to keep pigs off it, will one t-post be able to support the whole thing ??? I am interested to see what you come up with and how well it works.

Comment

I don't see too many deer licking the block itself it seems they usually eat the dirt that has soaked up what the rain washed in or hogs broke up.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
          I don't see too many deer licking the block itself it seems they usually eat the dirt that has soaked up what the rain washed in or hogs broke up.
          Thats true, but he could stick a protein block on it just as well, and deer bite directly off the protein blocks. Rain and protein blocks dont jive, so if he can keep it covered he would be in business.

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
            Thats true, but he could stick a protein block on it just as well, and deer bite directly off the protein blocks. Rain and protein blocks dont jive, so if he can keep it covered he would be in business.
            This is really the plan of action I want to take. Find what they really like then cover it so it will stay there longer so i do not have to make that extra trip out there.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
              yep I like that

Comment

I think I am going to go with this design since I do not have access to a welder.

Comment

Working...
                X