Deer neck in a crock pot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer neck in a crock pot?

I've got a bone in deer neck in the freezer that I'm planning on putting in the crock pot Friday after work so I can graze on it all day Saturday. Other than the usual veggies and salt/pepper do any of you do anything special? Braze the meat on a hot skillet first? Better to bake it instead of crock pot it? Certain seasonings you like?

This will be my first attempt and if I can do it well I'll be able to happily eat the other three in the freezer.

Richard.

Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

Comment

We do it all the time. Salt and pepper to taste Sear on all sides. Make about 4 or five incisions down to the middle of the meat and put some garlic slices in the cuts. Place in crock pot and add beef broth and a couple of beef bullion cups to intensify the flavor add your preferred vegies and cook till falling apart. Wife makes killer tamales from the left overs!

Comment

used it for chili in crock pot this past winter (wasnt much of a winter) but it tasted great

Comment

We sometimes season it up cook it until it falls off the bone then shred it chop it and add BBQ sauce makes great sandwiches.

Comment

Salt pepper flour sear it in hot bacon grease.....crock pot with beef consume & beef stock & thin sliced onions cook till falling apart...once done remove add more flour to juice for a thicker gravy.....good tortillas & ice cold beer.....gonna go pull a neck out of freezer now

Comment

Heck now I'm glad we kept them. The neighbor came out to watch me process the deer and told me to throw the necks in the trash as there wasn't enough meat on them to deal with. Looked like a couple meals worth of tender meat so I held on to them.

Richard.

Comment

Meant to respond to this earlier and forgot to do so. Thank you for the link and I'd googled some of it before but I wanted some input from folks here that had done it for some more personal recounting of cooking/seasoning and tastes.

Thank you again.

Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
                  Meant to respond to this earlier and forgot to do so. Thank you for the link and I'd googled some of it before but I wanted some input from folks here that had done it for some more personal recounting of cooking/seasoning and tastes.

Thank you again.

Richard.

Yes, sir. Realized that after I sent it. Wasn't trying to be a smart aleck. Good luck with the recipe. That's one cut of meat I'll try to utilize in the future after this mornings googlings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've done it in a crock pot just like pot roast. It was terrific.

Comment

Add a little red wine to your crockpot, turns out real nice.

Comment

Neck roast is one of my favorites. I smoke it for an hour or so...light smoke but just enough to give it flavor. Take it from there and put in crock with normal veggies, salt, pepper, garlic and beef broth with just a tough of red wine.

Comment

Deer neck is the best part of the deer besides the back strap imo. Has a stringy texture similar to brisket. I cut most into chops and leave some whole for roast and smother down in a black pot and serve over rice.

Comment

Crockpotit. Low and slow is the way I go. Marinade in beer and seasoning for a couple of days. Maybe add a little white vinegar. Its good to go once the meat turns grey...almost green.

Comment

Search "myth busted" in the recipe section. It's a recipe for Audad but I made it with whitetail neck roast. Was amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X