question for the folks who have been in Alaska during the rainy months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question for the folks who have been in Alaska during the rainy months

Gonna be headed to Alaska next month for about a week. I've heard that it rains quite a bit in the summer. Going to be going from Anchorage to fairbanks and back down around the glacier cruises.

Question I have (among many) is ... is the Frog toggs rain gear suitable for up there? We are not gonna be doing alot of hiking. Although my son & I will be racing along a very long zip line over some river. (I figure my age old..acquired mass will benefit me in the race )

I will be taking some thermal cell canisters out there.

thanx,

Will work fine. Wish I had mine up here.

Comment

Four years in the military (89-93) at Ft. Wainwright taught me several things. You need Mosquito repellant that works, good shoes/boots, rain gear that can be layered and drink lots of fluid.

Comment

Frogg Toggs ought to be good for you if you are not in the elements 24-7. If you have time to dry the gear off at night, you should be good to go. It can rain virtually any time up there. However, my son just got back from a week fishing for Kings on the Kenai and it did not rain a drop on them for a week. I leave tomorrow for AK and I always have my rain gear though. Have fun with your son!

Comment

It was rainy when we were there. We didn't have any rain gear and did just fine. We got lucky on our day hike though as the rain missed us.

Did you buy your Denali bus pass yet? Are you doing that? I think it's a must.

Comment

Tim, been going back and forth about the bus trip. My wife is not as wild about the trip as I am. Figure I will get the longest one and make it to her somehow...

On the frog toggs,,, did your pants really help much. or was it mostly the parka that did the heavy lifting.

Comment

Several years ago we went late July/early August from Anchorage to Fairbanks to GlenAllen back to Anchorage and then Seward.

The weather changed often. Coldest weather probably was Denali with upper 30s and light rain, just a couple hundred feet above us it was snowing. Warmest was sunny and 80s....We just layered to adjust to the conditions. Nothing super heavy, but triple layers were common in the morning.

By the way, the Denali bus trip is 90mi one way. The whole place is one big postcard so there is no shortage of breath taking views.

Comment

Frog Togs are fine, my daughter uses them when we go fishing. I use Helly Hansen rain gear but Im usually in the brush. I also recommend an uninsulated rubber boot like an Xtra Tuff. Buy what you need down there as it will be 30% more expensive up here in the tourist areas.

Comment

Working...
                X