How many fly fishermen on here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
    Tied up some little polar fiber baitfish tonight. Super easy and quick. I’m sure some traditionalist would laugh at me, but I think they look really fishy and in the end that’s all I care about!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dude you are a natural

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
      Dude you are a natural
      Thanks , but wouldn't go that far. There is nothing to those and they are stupid easy to tie.

Comment

First attempt at a gurgler. Definitely needs improvement, but I think I already have down what needs to be fixed. Couple more and I should be good to go.

Tied up some little polar fiber baitfish tonight. Super easy and quick. I’m sure some traditionalist would laugh at me, but I think they look really fishy and in the end that’s all I care about!

A couple questions:

Is that the Peak vise? Looks a lot like the Peak vise I have... love my vise... best investment I ever mad in fly fishing.

Had you seen that gurgler pattern somewhere? A hell of a lot more fancy than I have seen for most of my freshwater fishing. How do they swim. the first thing that caught my eye was how big of a loop you have of foam for the body and how it protrude so high up... wondered how they swam. I tend have issues with a foam/hair grasshopper I tie where when the foam sticks that high up into the air, my fly tends to sit on the water upside down. BTW, Bass love gurglers... foam gurglers in my opinion and experience is the "poor man's popper". Easy to tie and cheap and just as effective. What are you targeting with those Gurglers???? Reds?

Those polar minnows look great. I've made some EP fish, but I think I like your pattern here better. Great job

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
          A couple questions:

Is that the Peak vise? Looks a lot like the Peak vise I have... love my vise... best investment I ever mad in fly fishing.

Had you seen that gurgler pattern somewhere? A hell of a lot more fancy than I have seen for most of my freshwater fishing. How do they swim. the first thing that caught my eye was how big of a loop you have of foam for the body and how it protrude so high up... wondered how they swam. I tend have issues with a foam/hair grasshopper I tie where when the foam sticks that high up into the air, my fly tends to sit on the water upside down. BTW, Bass love gurglers... foam gurglers in my opinion and experience is the "poor man's popper". Easy to tie and cheap and just as effective. What are you targeting with those Gurglers???? Reds?

Those polar minnows look great. I've made some EP fish, but I think I like your pattern here better. Great job

It is a peak. I have nothing to compare it to but so far it's been great!

That gurgler is a "Gangster Gurgler" from 239 Flies. Being new to tying, I figured it would be nice to have some kits with step by steps available to learn on. I ordered a couple different ones and they were great. That was the first gurgler I attempted and it got scrapped. It was messy, I felt the foam "loop" on top was too large and I trimmed to lip too much. The ones I've tied since look much better and seem to float and work how they should. Yes I'm tying these for redfish mainly since that's what I fish for 99% of the time.

The polar fiber minnows look great in the water and are easy to tie. I too like EP baitfish patterns and they won't be replaced. Going to tie some up here this coming week.

Comment

Anyone from the GS going to Trout Fest?

Comment

239 flies is a great website to learn patterns. I like their vids also about the back country

Comment

I need to take some lessons somewhere.
                My goal, every year for the last 10 or so, has been to hit the spring sandbass run with a fly rod.
                So far, I have failed at achieving that goal!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tgil View Post
                  I need to take some lessons somewhere.
                  My goal, every year for the last 10 or so, has been to hit the spring sandbass run with a fly rod.
                  So far, I have failed at achieving that goal!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                  It’s worth the drive over to Tailwaters in Dallas. One of the best shops I’ve ever been to

Comment

Forgot to post. I hit the blue last Saturday with my dad. Never seen so many people on that river in the 9 years I’ve fished it. Didn’t get a single fish between the two of us but it was a beautiful day. Even when it’s crowded and no fish tough to beat bein on the water chasin fish
                    Last edited by hooligan; 02-03-2018, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                      Forgot to post. I hit the blue last Saturday with my dad. Never seen so many people on that river in the 9 years I’ve fished it. Didn’t get a single fish between the two of us but it was a beautiful day. Even when it’s crowded and no fish tough to be meat bein on the water chasin fish
                      Hope it gets better. I'm supposed to be going with a buddy the same weekend as the trout derby, so I can only imagine how crowded it will be there. Either way I'm fishing and not working so it will all be ok!

Comment

A friend that is going musky fishing in the spring has asked me to tie him some musky flies. Here is the first 3 out of a dozen. 6/0 hooks and they are really big.
                        Attached Files

Comment

This was in Alaska in 2015. On the Ilnik river which runs parallel and about 500 yards away from the Bering Sea. It was amazing. The last picture is the Bering Sea behind me.

Comment

Man I am having a hard time shaping EP fibers into baitfish. They'll work, but don't look great. Any tips?

Comment

Originally posted by bzzboyz View Post
                              This was in Alaska in 2015. On the Ilnik river which runs parallel and about 500 yards away from the Bering Sea. It was amazing. The last picture is the Bering Sea behind me.

That's awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                                Hope it gets better. I'm supposed to be going with a buddy the same weekend as the trout derby, so I can only imagine how crowded it will be there. Either way I'm fishing and not working so it will all be ok!
                                Wife and I lit em up on Wednesday!

Comment

Working...
                                X