Sleeping bag recommendations for Montana in July

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleeping bag recommendations for Montana in July

Heading out on a 10 day trip to Montana to the “Bob”. Will be going in on horses and fly fishing the whole way. Temps have an 80/40 split.

We need some recommendations on sleeping bags.

Weight and size considerations are a must as we are packing in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife did not want to hear the word Woobie out of my mouth nor did she want me taking anything resembling TA50 because she doesn’t want me looking like grunt ****.

Apparently style is important to my wife...hahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ha...you need one for going to bed and one for when you wake up.

Comment

I’ve used a hammock and a woobie a bit out there, and wouldn’t hesitate to use one again this time of year lol

Comment

You are trekking back into some serious country. Don’t let anyone who hasn’t been there tell you otherwise. Although the weather may be great the whole trip, you need to be prepared for less than ideal conditions. You need a good sleeping pad and a quality bag. Any bag that is too hot can always be unzipped and just used as a blanket. Anytime there is a chance for wet weather, I stay away from down bags. Go synthetic, especially for this time of year. There are many bag options at all price points. I use a Kifaru 20 degree bag. You need to understand that the degree rating is NOT a comfort rating. It’s a “keep you from freezing to death” rating. I use it year round. Depending on temp, I change the sleeping pad I’m using with it based on the “R” value. Summer camping, use a 1-2 “R” value pad. Colder temps, use a 5+ R value.

I’m not saying you can’t get by with a hammock and blanket from Walmart. I’m sure many have in good conditions.....but you are in Montana in the Bob where “shiat happens” non stop. Be prepared, especially if you are taking your wife and child with you.

Kifaru
          Wiggys
          Western Mountaineering
          Nemo
          Sea to summit

Just a few you can take a look at.
          Last edited by Trevor73402; 07-07-2020, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Find a kevlar one, with sent lock. Improve your chances of waking up, in the same condition you went to sleep in and not bear crap.

I don't have a problem with bears, think they are cool. I would love to go to Wyoming, Montana or Alaska and see a bunch of grizzlies. But a grizzly looking in my tent at night, for a late night snack, while I am sleeping, would result in war.
            Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 07-07-2020, 07:15 PM.

Comment

I go every year and use a down quilt or bag. I do keep them and other items in a trash compactor bag. Synthetic will retain more warmth when wet but is heavier and does not compress to as small a volume. I would recommend going 10 degrees lower on rating than the temperature I expect. Hence, a 30 degree bag. You do not have time to order a custom bag for a July trip so you will be looking for a bag with a short delivery schedule. If I wanted premium and wanted to avoid everybody's favorite outdoor store because of their anti-hunting stance I would look to see if montbell had a #3 down hugger ready to ship (montbell.us). Expensive but you could expect up to 15 years of service if you do not store it compressed. Super premium go for Western Moutaineering at maybe blackovis.com (a step above Montbell). I also like Marmot, Big Agnes, Nemo and Sierra Designs (if you are a veteran you can get about a 40% discount on these brands). If you do not mind their anti-hunting stance REI magma is a good value (they carry the other brands and ship fast). Hammock camping is great but I do not think you have time for the learning curve. Put just as much research into you sleeping pad. I always use inflatable but would not hesitate to recommend the heavier self inflating for a newbie. Thermarest is the top of the line but Big Agnes, Nemo and Sea to Summit have quality offerings.

To learn more
              "I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know." ~  Ernest Hemingway Perhaps the most cherished item in a hiker’s kit.  After a long day on the trail is there anything better than crawling into a warm sleeping bag (or quilt) and drifting off to Mother Nature's w

Find the best ultralight sleeping bag for backpacking! We've compiled the lightest and warmest backpacking sleeping bags in existence.

"I want to be cold all night" said no one ever. Read through our reviews to discover the best sleeping bag for winter, backpacking, a tight budget and more.

Many people under estimate the value of a good night of sleep. If you don't cherish your sleep, you might want to read The Problem of Sleep which does a good job of documenting the value of sleep, what interferes with good sleep, and what the negative consequences of not getting enough sleep. There is some gear

I use custom gear but it has a very long lead time. For gear in a short period of time I would probably look at blackovis, moosejaw first, manufacturer site second and third REI last because of their anti-hunting but I would use them before I would let my trip go up in flames.

Comment

When I was raising a family I could not afford the things I use today. I would use the same brands but would add Kelty. I would step down to lower quality down or synthetic to save money.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                  You are trekking back into some serious country. Don’t let anyone who hasn’t been there tell you otherwise. Although the weather may be great the whole trip, you need to be prepared for less than ideal conditions. You need a good sleeping pad and a quality bag. Any bag that is too hot can always be unzipped and just used as a blanket. Anytime there is a chance for wet weather, I stay away from down bags. Go synthetic, especially for this time of year. There are many bag options at all price points. I use a Kifaru 20 degree bag. You need to understand that the degree rating is NOT a comfort rating. It’s a “keep you from freezing to death” rating. I use it year round. Depending on temp, I change the sleeping pad I’m using with it based on the “R” value. Summer camping, use a 1-2 “R” value pad. Colder temps, use a 5+ R value.

I’m not saying you can’t get by with a hammock and blanket from Walmart. I’m sure many have in good conditions.....but you are in Montana in the Bob where “shiat happens” non stop. Be prepared, especially if you are taking your wife and child with you.

Kifaru
                  Wiggys
                  Western Mountaineering
                  Nemo
                  Sea to summit

Just a few you can take a look at.
                  I’ve spent plenty of time in the back country of Northern ID and MT with not much more than a pack. Spent a bit of time in the Bob Marshall as well. I wasn’t as much recommending him use a hammock and woobie as much as I was making a joke out of his wife not allowing it. By the way that “Walmart blanket” is Kifaru

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                    I’ve spent plenty of time in the back country of Northern ID and MT with not much more than a pack. Spent a bit of time in the Bob Marshall as well. I wasn’t as much recommending him use a hammock and woobie as much as I was making a joke out of his wife not allowing it. By the way that “Walmart blanket” is Kifaru
                    I knew that, sorry if you thought I was contradicting. Hammock camping is a good way to go also but I had a serious learning curve with hanging and insulation. It all depends if you want to be a bear taco or a bear burrito.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                      I wasn’t specifically referring to you bud. And I know you aren’t running Walmart gear. I have no idea on the OP’s experience in the backcountry, so much post have been a lot of info he already knows. However, a lot of people get themselves in bad situations every year because they underestimate the Mountain and the backcountry. It’s nothing like down here in the flatlands. I’d rather someone be over prepped rather than under. Best case scenario is they end up having a miserable trip. Worst case scenario Search and Rescue finds what the bears and wolves didn’t turn into shiat.

Comment

Trevor and Rubi do you guys go solo backpacking or hunting? I do and usually off trail. I have carried an Inreach for a few years and every year debate on the value of carrying it.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                          I wasn’t specifically referring to you bud. And I know you aren’t running Walmart gear. I have no idea on the OP’s experience in the backcountry, so much post have been a lot of info he already knows. However, a lot of people get themselves in bad situations every year because they underestimate the Mountain and the backcountry. It’s nothing like down here in the flatlands. I’d rather someone be over prepped rather than under. Best case scenario is they end up having a miserable trip. Worst case scenario Search and Rescue finds what the bears and wolves didn’t turn into shiat.
                          Ah sorry. I assumed since I mentioned the hammock and woobie that it was. As usual assuming makes me look like as a** lol

Comment

Got a Northface Cats Meow 20 degree synthetic bag and Thermarest pad. Think bag was $120 on sale and weighs 2 lbs 6 oz. The combo has worked well for me. Will look and see if I can find some of the websites I got gear off of. Moosejaw, Black Ovis, and Camofire were a few. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PlanoDano View Post
                              Trevor and Rubi do you guys go solo backpacking or hunting? I do and usually off trail. I have carried an Inreach for a few years and every year debate on the value of carrying it.
                              I’ve done a bit in CO and NM, but those were shorter overnight fly fishing trips. Haven’t done any solo hunting trips that weren’t in TX at the lease etc. . All my trips up north I’ve had a buddy or partner with me. He had an Spot, and I’ve borrowed it a couple times for trips I’ve done with someone else. Need to get one for myself honestly.

Comment

Working...
                              X