Quail making a comeback to N. Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quail making a comeback to N. Texas?

My newest dog flushed a covey within Plano city limits. I have lived in N. Texas for 25 years and have not seen a covey in any of the surrounding counties and found a covey within the city limits. I saw the quail before dropping the leash but the dog did great working an flushing nearly everyone a second time. Her only problem is she got so excited she did not remain close an she did not stop. I really need to spend more time working her she comes from a great line.

Now I am questioning weather these birds were really wild. They certainly appeared to be. I spend a lot of time outdoors around lake ray bob, lavon, texoma, coffee mill, caddo grassland and have not seen a covey.

We have a few at the deer lease in Mills county, but nothing to brag about. I thought about raising them to release.

Comment

They are 2 coveys on my lease in central texas. I love hearing them whistle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Your questioning is good. There are people who use pen raised to train. Theres quite a few breeders within 30 mins or so of the metroplex in all directions. My buddy has 3k chicks and birds in all stages they sell. Ive hunted the metroplex for years and years anything is possible. Ive seen crazy stuff. Ive never saw a covey of quail here though.

Comment

I used to see them here and there on my old lease in Cooke Co.

Comment

Our ranch is part of a pilot program to reestablish native grasses. TP&W has said that invasive grasses like KT are the main reason for quail declines in much of the state. We're gonna find out.

Comment

Last year we had very encouraging signs out at the ranch. Saw and heard them in the fields and the roads. Even had them in the front yard of the ranch house.

Then in November...........Nothing. Houdini, they disappeared.

Comment

Used to see them a lot in the late 70s and 80s in Grayson County

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Haven't seen a quail on my place in Wise County since 97 or 98. I was told loss of native grasses and habitat were big factors.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a few around my place in Parker county

Comment

Me and my wife were sitting outside(northern Erath county) last week and heard 2 quail calling back and forth. First time I have heard quail in quite some time. Still have not seen any though. It was just before the sun went down. Pretty cool .

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                        Our ranch is part of a pilot program to reestablish native grasses. TP&W has said that invasive grasses like KT are the main reason for quail declines in much of the state. We're gonna find out.
                        What is KT grass

Comment

Maybe in some places... Year to year bust or boom...

I think large bobwhite population is a thing of the past

However I am hopeful on some of the California quail establishment they are trying. Only Californians I want moving here

Comment

Parasites are hammering the quail! We find eye worms in most of the quail we kill in west texas.

Comment

Not many left on my places in Mills county.

Comment

Working...
                              X