Any advice on a range finder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a nikon aculon, which has served its purpose for years. I now find myself having issues ranging in dark timber or even picking up on pigs. And its not just every once in a while, its everytime I try. So have you found a range finder that picks up well and accurate in the shadows of the timber? Or is my issue just common across all range finders?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Vortex Ranger

Comment

Leica 2800.com. Gives ballistic solutions too if you’re using it for things other than bowhunting. I had a Vortex Ranger and am glad I switched. Ranging 800-900 yards and having the ballistic solution is a huge timesaver in the field, and the glass is significantly better as well.

Comment

Soft targets (animals) don’t pick up as well as reflective (large rocks, vehicles, etc) targets. Weather conditions can impact how far they are capable of lazing as well. The typical rule is half the distance the RF is rated for is what it’s capable of on soft targets in ideal conditions. Just something to think about when researching a new RF. The shadow shouldn’t have any impact on their ability IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by tommy1005 View Post
          Leica 2800.com. Gives ballistic solutions too if you’re using it for things other than bowhunting. I had a Vortex Ranger and am glad I switched. Ranging 800-900 yards and having the ballistic solution is a huge timesaver in the field, and the glass is significantly better as well.
          I’ve got the 2700-R, and have been thinking of upgrading to the 3200.COM. Mostly due to the fact it can run Applied Ballistics instead of the Leica designed ballistics app, which can be a pain and limited in distance. The App works for my 2700 as well, but doesn’t communicate with my Kestrel like the 2800 and 3200. Also the 3200 has a much smaller beam divergence, which makes it considerably more accurate than either The 2700 or 2800. The Blue Tooth connectivity is also a bit more reliable. That said you can pick up a 2800 for a song now, and it is more than capable enough for 99% of shooters/hunters out there.

Comment

Sig Sauer Kilo range finders are great and depending on the model, you’ll get illuminated reticle. Love mine

Comment

Originally posted by txhoghunter73 View Post
              Vortex Ranger
              This, I like mine better than any I’ve ever owned

Comment

Leica 2700-R. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Got me a Leica and it's amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by tmurray View Post
                    Sig Sauer Kilo range finders are great and depending on the model, you’ll get illuminated reticle. Love mine
                    I second this!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a 1st gen Leupold,and it was the most complicated piece of crap;I've ever bought..Surely they've gotten better bit I'll never find out!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Sig or Leica, don’t waste your time and $ with anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
                          Sig or Leica, don’t waste your time and $ with anything else.

Yep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutRam2500 View Post
                            I second this!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                            Third this. Been extremely happy with my Kilo

Comment

One bit of advice is get the best you can afford. I have never heard anyone say my ranger finder ranges to far or works to well.

Comment

Working...
                              X