Starlight FOB vs traditional Vane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starlight FOB vs traditional Vane

Saw a demo with the FOB, and was curious what you all thought. They seem pretty cool looking, but he would only shoot 15-20 yards (in a 50 yard range), and when i asked him about longer distances he just sort of blew me off.

What is TBH Nations thoughts on the Starlight FOB?

I asked a guy the same thing (about distance) and he said they tend to start falling pretty quick after a certain point.

Comment

They shoot exactly the same out to 50 yards with some arrows I have with the Quick Spin vanes. Unless they come out with something better for fletching, FOB's will be the only thing you will find on my arrows. I hate fletching and refletching arrows and the FOB's are the answer. Love mine!

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
        They shoot exactly the same out to 50 yards with some arrows I have with the Quick Spin vanes. Unless they come out with something better for fletching, FOB's will be the only thing you will find on my arrows. I hate fletching and refletching arrows and the FOB's are the answer. Love mine!
        what kind of rest are you using? im the guy mac mentioned. i did a full test 2 years back i think. i loved the simplicity of the FOB, they shot great at 20 yards but they dropped quicker than blazers for me past that

Comment

I have been shooting a Ripcord (original) ever since I have begun using the FOB's. I am not really concerned with the drop of the arrow with FOB's at longer distances. I am shooting an arrow weighing in at 560 grains, so the drop is there period with that heavy of an arrow. In all honesty, going from an arrow shooting weighing 410 grains and shooting 314 fps to the heavy arrow shooting 270 fps did not spread my 40 and 50 yards pins out very much. Almost like a heavy bullet vs a light bullet a longer distances.

Comment

x2

Comment

I just started shooting FOBs a couple of months ago but I'm hooked on them now. I can shoot better groups at 60 yds than I ever did before, and I'm using an NAP Apache rest. I've got a buddy who routinely shoots FOBs at 80 & 100 yds and he puts them on the money.

Comment

i perfer fobs and im using the tr revolution rest.

Comment

If you are ever south of Houston I'll take you out to the range and show you how they fly out to 100yards.

Comment

I believe that I have to invest in some of these.

Comment

FOB's are not for everyone, some like them some hate them. The are ugly on the shaft compared to fletching, but I am not concerned about that and they do not touch my face at my anchor as they have with some that have tried them.

Comment

I tried them and really wanted to like them. I couldn't get used to the changed anchor point and the FOBs were definitely louder and slowed down the arrow.
                        I shot FOBs and fletched arrows and had my wife and daughter close their eyes - they could ID the FOBs every time.
                        Also, the fletched arrows would penetrate deeper into my target every time.
                        It only makes sense that the kinetic energy making the arrow spin faster takes away from the overall speed of the arrow.

Comment

Teh two things I have heard against the FOB's are the noise and the touching of the face at anchor. As far as the noise, I have not seen the animals react any different to the FOB's. I think they will hear the noise of the bow WAY before they hear the noise of the FOB. As far as flight and penetration they do not, as far as I know, spin any faster than any other fletching I have used. I have shot them together against Blazers and Quik Spin vanes and at 50 yards, there is no difference in drop. They fly the same. Don't think the KE will be affected by the spin of the arrow. The penetration I don't think will be affected as the FOB arrow is heavier and a heavier will penetrate better, but with the weight at th rear of the arrow, the FOC is less on a regular fletched arrow. You are only looking at 20 grains difference between FOB's and feathers and less on vanes. AT longer distances the feathers may be about the same speed as a feather tends to catch a lot more air as a wind foil over vanes or FOB's. FOB's truly shine when there is a crosswind and they will our perform any other fletching. Again this is just my opinion based on shooting the FOBs against other fletching and my years of tinkering with all things archery.

Comment

FOB's are not for everyone, some like them some hate them. The are ugly on the shaft compared to fletching, but I am not concerned about that and they do not touch my face at my anchor as they have with some that have tried them.
                            Maybe it's just me, but I think they look pretty cool on the shaft.
                            Then again, I like stuff that's a little differnet, and they certainly are that

Comment

What I like is the reaction of people that have no idea what I am shooting when I go somewhere. Most think it is just a gimmick.

Comment

Working...
                              X