Kids first vehicle??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kids first vehicle??

I still have a ways to go as my son is only 11 but I like to plan ahead. Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on a kids first vehicle? Did you buy your kid a brand new vehicle or a quality used? What are some specifics you considered?

My initial plan is that I will buy something when he is 14 and drive it myself for a couple years and then give it to him. But then again, I would also like to surprise him as well.

Guess it all depends on your financial situation. Personally, I have no problem with buying a 16 year old kid a brand new car, if you can afford it and thats what you want to do, however I wouldnt/didnt do it for either of my kids. Its your money, spend it however you wish. Look at getting them a nice used car/truck. Something that isnt too expensive, but it is still nice so they will appreciate it and take care if it.

Comment

Make them buy their own car or they will trash it in most cases.

Comment

Plan on them having some wrecks. Might be them hitting something, or their friends hitting them, but they will have some collisions (hopefully all minor). So, I vote used vehicles to learn to drive.

Comment

You asked for opinions and well here is mine. Don't spend a lot on a first car. I spent $2500 each on both my kids and helped them learn how to take care of things. My daughter actually did better than my son. Kids now really don't know the value of money or how to care for things. Even if I could afford a new car they would still drive what they are driving. We as parents need to stop GIVING things to our kids and make them earn it. Like I said just my opinion. Good luck.

Comment

Depends on the kid and your finances. I got a 2 year old truck for my first ride. I didn't wreck it and took good care of it, but was always taught to take care of your things. If I did something stupid it would for sure be taken away. I had friends with brand new first cars that really tore them up. As far as a cheap car, I really wanted an old blazer a buddy had at the time. In hindsight, it was real nice having a newer truck I didn't have to repair over the years.
            Last edited by jdg13; 12-27-2017, 08:58 AM.

Comment

I like the idea of a 1/2 ton chevy or ford V6 work truck. Big enough to provide some protection in an accident, slow enough they cant do what we used to do on Friday nights after the game. Rubber floors and vinyl seats. Harder to trash.

Comment

I believe that kids need to have some skin in the game for both learning about finances and working and also they will take care of something if they have their own money in it.

We matched our kids 2 dollars for every dollar they put into a car.

Comment

For my boys I went with a reliable but used (80k+ miles) single cab pickup. I figured not being able to have a back seat full of knuckleheads would reduce the distractions. They worked to pay for their own gas and kicked-in a little towards insurance.

Comment

Yeah accidents. That being said my parents were able to buy both me and my sister brand new cars. I never had any maintaince. She got an isuzu rodeo and I got a 2 door Acura Integra gsr. Il prob go the newer used route for my boys when the time comes.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                      For my boys I went with a reliable but used (80k+ miles) single cab pickup. I figured not being able to have a back seat full of knuckleheads would reduce the distractions. they worked to pay for their own gas and kicked-in a little towards insurance.
                      True, but what do you think happens when him and his buddy end up with two girls that want to go riding? Yep, four deep in a single cab.

Comment

My parents set me up extremely well. I was the oldest son and I have two younger brothers. They bought a nice extended cab pickup truck (used) for me. And of course my younger self spent all my money I had saved up on lift, tires, etc. But when I went off to college I did not really need a car and now that truck has gone through both my younger brothers and now finally resides at the hunting lease as dads ranch truck. Ended up working out pretty good!

Comment

I think the kid needs to have time and money invested in a vehicle, otherwise they wont respect it that much and will likely tear it up or crash it. I don't plan on buying mine anything nice or reliable. They need to learn how to work on a vehicle incase they ever get in a bind. I plan to buy them a straight bodied single cab pickup at about age 12-13 not to interested in mechanical condition. But just something cheap and decent. Spend the next several years having them fix it up and doing work to buy parts. I'll help them out along the way and teach them how to work on it. But figure they will get some knowledge experience and memories instead of just a ride.

Comment

Riley will get my F350. She already drives on the back dirt roads at the ranch.

Comment

My dad required me to learn to drive a standard before he let me drive an automatic.

I did the same with my daughter. She drives an Xterra with a 5-speed manual transmission. Took a little extra training, but she does really well with it. It was a spare vehicle and I would turn her loose in the pasture and let her practice driving whenever she wanted. It gives me a little peace of mind that if she gets in a tough situation, she can drive any kind of vehicle.

I will be getting her a new vehicle later this year after she graduates high school. The old Xterra will then be passed down to my younger daughter for her to learn on.

Comment

Working...
                              X