No announcement yet.

Pond management help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the same problem with my pond. Mine looks like sailors ^ during the winter. Once it warms up the algae takes over and looks like OP's pond. Sailor, when and how often do you apply the corn gluten meal to your pond. Where did you purchase from. I get tired of raking the algae from pond every year.

Comment

Has anyone tried tilapia? My friend had a pond that was scummed over. He put some tilapia in it. They cleared it up in no time and he said that tilapia constantly reproduce so the fingerlings are feeding his bass and catfish. I might have to try it.

Comment

Kelly, I applied it only when the scum shows up...(fish seem to like it too)
        I tried to do as little as possible.. I was always worried about o2 depletion...
        Any feed store probably sells Corn gluten meal.....
        It's not an immediate fix.. It takes a couple of weeks.....
        Hope this helps.....

Comment

call Gary at Johnson Lake Management in San Marcos - he is the best and will tell you the best way to handle this and he can also ship you whatever the best product is - 512 396 1231

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
            Has anyone tried tilapia? My friend had a pond that was scummed over. He put some tilapia in it. They cleared it up in no time and he said that tilapia constantly reproduce so the fingerlings are feeding his bass and catfish. I might have to try it.
            Tilapia love filamentous algae and will clean it up. I have used them numerous times for this purpose. I buy them from Todd Overton at Overton Fisheries between Buffalo and Centerville on I-45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
              No doubt Copper Sulfate will take care of the problem....
              But IMHO it creates a worse one...
              Copper Sulfate, is a heavy metal. And it will never leave your echo system...
              btw Corn Gluten Meal @ 10 pounds per 1000 square feet will take care of
              pond scum...
              Here's a couple pics of mine. 100 % organic....
              Never heard of this I will look into it

Comment

Any body ever try the scum remover pucks they sell at tractor supply. I thing they are organic

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                  Tilapia love filamentous algae and will clean it up. I have used them numerous times for this purpose. I buy them from Todd Overton at Overton Fisheries between Buffalo and Centerville on I-45.

How many do you buy, and do they make it through the winter?

Comment

Originally posted by kfd82 View Post
                    How many do you buy, and do they make it through the winter?

I think the recommendation is 10lbs/acre. My ponds are just north of Waco. They will not overwinter here. Probably won’t overwinter in many private lakes outside of south Texas.

Comment

I think the recommendation is 10lbs/acre. My ponds are just north of Waco. They will not overwinter here. Probably won’t overwinter in many private lakes outside of south Texas.

Thats what I thought.
                      I'm betting theres gonna be a TON of dead talipia in Lake Fairfield this year since they closed down the power plant that used to heat the lake.

Comment

Cutrine plus will take out the algae. Spray half pond at one time.

Can’t tell if there is duckweed in OP pic but only way I have found to cure it is Sonar. Ain’t cheap but it works!

Comment

Originally posted by kfd82 View Post
                          Thats what I thought.
                          I'm betting theres gonna be a TON of dead talipia in Lake Fairfield this year since they closed down the power plant that used to heat the lake.

Different type of tilapia. The type they sale without a permit is Mozambique. Done it two years in mine now. Did a bang up job the first year. Did it again in march just to be sure. 5#s per acre recomended. Cost me $12.50/#. They will not winter over. Google Mozambique talapia.

Comment

good info i was just about to ask about the same thing!! one of my ponds looks nasty this year after harvey flooded them out real bad!

Comment

IN..

Comment

Mullet will do the job also.

Comment

Working...
                                X