Kids rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kids rifle

At what age did your kids start shooting ?

Wanting to get my 6 yo a rifle but I'm wondering if she's still too young.

Every kid is different. Just be careful and go slow.

Comment

Originally posted by berto View Post
      At what age did your kids start shooting ?

Wanting to get my 6 yo a rifle but I'm wondering if she's still too young.
      all depends on the kid. Mine was shooting a BB gun at that age 6, a .22 the next year and a .223 at 8
      Last edited by Playa; 08-19-2017, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Yep depends on the kid. My son got a bb gun at 4. He started shooting a 22 at 6 but didn't get his own 22 until he was 9. He just wasn't ready for his own before then. Now he is very responsible and careful after drilling it into him over the years. I got my first 22 when I was 6.

Comment

Yep, kids are all different. My 2 daughters showed no interest in shooting or hunting until they were 18 or so. They both enjoy shooting now at 22 and 26.

Comment

Originally posted by Royal21973 View Post
            Every kid is different. Just be careful and go slow.

This! My oldest wasn't comfortable shooting more than .22 until was 8 or 9. My middle boy kept begging to shoot Mommy's .308 (has collapsible stock) at 5. I finally let him and he was shooting hogs with it at 6 and never looked back. Electronic shooting muffs really put my kids at ease and they're not that expensive anymore. I think around $40 at Academy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

She shoots a BB gun now, I'm just thinking of getting her a .22 for when we go to the lease.

Might just stick to a BB gun, it seems she might be a tad still to young.

Comment

Killed my first deer at 6 and was shooting rabbits well before that

Comment

Kids rifle

Originally posted by berto View Post
                  She shoots a BB gun now, I'm just thinking of getting her a .22 for when we go to the lease.

Might just stick to a BB gun, it seems she might be a tad still to young.

Nothing wrong with that. Be careful rushing. I now have 3 other shooters under my roof. Daddy does a lot more guiding than shooting anymore!

Comment

My son liked shooting 22 at 6 yrs old. We got him a Savage Rascal. It was a great starter rifle. I used balloons to give him instant, positive feedback on his shots. And use good ear pro so she doesn't fear the sound. To this day he remembers shooting that little single shot.

Comment

Both of mine started with the .22 at 4, my son got a 7-08 when he was 7. My daughter shoots the 7-08 as well and she is 11. They are 11 and 8 now. Both went shooting sporting clays today with their 20 Gauge.

Comment

2 daughters. BB gun at 5, .22's at 6. Just bought my oldest (9yrs) a 7-08. She hasn't used it yet but I hope to ease her into it with the Hornady 120gr managed recoil rounds this winter. She is a toothpick so we will see how it goes. It will be ready for her when she is though. Christmas present will be a bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Jscott1112 View Post
                          2 daughters. BB gun at 5, .22's at 6. Just bought my oldest (9yrs) a 7-08. She hasn't used it yet but I hope to ease her into it with the Hornady 120gr managed recoil rounds this winter. She is a toothpick so we will see how it goes. It will be ready for her when she is though. Christmas present will be a bow.
                          There's a suppressed .300 BO available anytime she wants it. You can't shoot it, but she can

Comment

Originally posted by LHPanther View Post
                            There's a suppressed .300 BO available anytime she wants it. You can't shoot it, but she can
                            Ha...if it's there to shoot, she won't let me take a turn anyways.

Comment

Started my oldest at around 4 on a 22. Bought him the T/C hotshot and it fit him perfect. Progressed him to a 223 and he starting killing critters at 6. Started him on a 20 gauge at 7(trainer loads) and by 8 he was shooting full dove loads. Also started him on a 243 at 8 with no problems. He's now 12 and is flat ate up with it. LOL My youngest has just started showing some interest at 9. He's been shooting a 22 and 223(AR) since last year. As other have said just read the kiddo and let them determine when they are ready.

Comment

Working...
                              X