1st knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st knife

My first attempt at knife making ill post more as i go along. I cut this out of a rectangle 1/8th in think piece of 1095
    Attached Files

Keep posting pictures as you go. Looking good so far.

Comment

Probably wont have anytime to work on it til next weekend, but ill keep the pictures coming

Comment

I like the design.1095 seems easy to work and polshes out nice.keep the pics coming.I'm working on a small skinner made with 1095 finished sanding it tonighy

Comment

nice

Comment

Worked on the blade some last night, hopefully get some more done tonight and then upload some pictures.

Comment

Worked on it some tonight, I am hand filing the entire process(I don't have a belt grinder, my first night) but I think it's turning out ok. I am having fun doing it and hope to get better the more I do. My question is at what point do you heat treat? Also I am really interested in learning all I can and was wondering if their is anyone in the Houston area that I might be able to watch for a day, someone that wouldn't mind showing me some tricks.
              Attached Files

Comment

1 more photo hopefully it worked
                Attached Files

Comment

Looks like you got some good work done there. I am new to knife making as well so my advice should be taken with a grain of salt but I think you might need to be careful on how thin you are getting towards the tip. From my understanding you should at least keep it around the thickness of a dime prior to heat treat. I am sure some of the regular knife makers may chime in with better advice.

Comment

Oh, and make sure you drill any holes prior to heat treat. Your drill bits will thank you for it.

Comment

Originally posted by akey View Post
                      Oh, and make sure you drill any holes prior to heat treat. Your drill bits will thank you for it.
                      He can still drill if he only heat treats the blade only, I don't like my tang that hard I was some flex in the knife. Normally I edge quench my knives so that I don't have to go back and soften up the spine.

Here's a good example of edge quenching; I acid etched the blade to bring out the temper line better.

Comment

went by my parents this weekend and dug through my dads scrap wood. had to decide between black walnut, purple heart, cherry, maple, teak and mahogany. For this being my first attempt i went with the purple heart but eventually i will get around to using all he has to offer as it has been sitting in his scrap buckets for some time. I cut these 2 blocks to the specs of the ones they sale on texas knife supply. Now i just have to figure out how i am going to heat treat the blade and i will be finishing up shortly after.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I'm no expert, but I know there are places you can ship it to have it heat treated. Both commercial companies that charge and a friend who knows how to do it

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                            I'm no expert, but I know there are places you can ship it to have it heat treated. Both commercial companies that charge and a friend who knows how to do it
                            Yea there is one here in Houston. Texas knifemakes supply

Comment

Working...
                            X