140 amp mig welder/gas assist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

140 amp mig welder/gas assist

Is anybody out there using one of these in a Miller, Lincoln, or Hobart?

I need something that's going to run off a 110 volt outlet in my garage. Neighborhood will not allow generator, or 220 volt 50 amp in addition to the 220 volt 30 amp my dryer uses.

I am going to use this to weld 55 gallon drums and square tubing.

Opinions, suggestions, etc.....

I have a Lincoln 135 Wire feed welder. It suits me fine for all of the various light-weight welding I do. Camp fire grills, hitch hauler, tailgate feeder, etc.

Comment

I have a Crastman 110v unit and works fine for making hunting stuff... Just curious as to why the neighborhood will not allow the extra 220v 50A outlet?

Comment

The electrician said it would require a permit which was against the home owners association in my neighborhood and a fire code. I can have an extra outlet similar to a dryer 30 amp but a 50 amp is too hot.

Comment

Hobart makes a goodun!
          Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
          l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
          ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

I have the hobart 140 and it probalby is bigger than most folks really need....if I was doing it again I would look at a 90 or 110 mig welder....

Comment

i have a millermatic 140 with 75/25 gas and .030 solid wire i can weld up to 1/4 inch steel if it is new no rust but only about 15% duty cycle on anything over 11ga steel

Comment

Originally posted by noflyzone View Post
                Is anybody out there using one of these in a Miller, Lincoln, or Hobart?

I need something that's going to run off a 110 volt outlet in my garage. Neighborhood will not allow generator, or 220 volt 50 amp in addition to the 220 volt 30 amp my dryer uses.

I am going to use this to weld 55 gallon drums and square tubing.

Opinions, suggestions, etc.....
                UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING DO NOT DO THIS YOURSELF

......... add a 50 amp circuit to the box yourself and dont use the dryer while you weld in case of overload more than likely you wont have a problem but I dont know how much service amperage you have into your house but it is probably 225 amp or 250 amp.. Send me a PM and I can tell you what you will need to do it..... I was a licensed master electrician for 6 yrs.....

Comment

Right now it's down to the Hobart 140 and the Miller 140.
                  Both are 115 volt and I can plug them into my garage outlet.

Comment

Both Hobart and Miller are good. Lincoln is also good. I have a cheap Chicago Electric (or what ever Harbor Freight sells) and it does just fine for thin welding.

Originally posted by noflyzone View Post
                    The electrician said it would require a permit which was against the home owners association in my neighborhood and a fire code. I can have an extra outlet similar to a dryer 30 amp but a 50 amp is too hot.
                    I think I'd move!

Comment

i was in the shop to day my mig is a 130 amp

Comment

Miller and Hobart are owned by the same company, ITW. The miller is going to be the better machine. The hobart is made for Tractor Supply, Lowes and places like that. Miller is made for more industrial use. I have the millermatic 130xp, millermatic 172 challenger, and I am looking at a millermatic 210. I work in the welding supply industry and can buy any machine I want. I still choose miller. They make a 110 welder now that is called a millermatic 140 w/autoset. It is a great machine. If you come across something and just need some advice, feel free to call me at 903-574-9048 or email me at jstone@etox.com. Besides if you buy one from a welding supply, you will always be able to get help, and replacement parts. I promise that you will not get that from a TSC, LOWES, or Home Depot. Good luck, and have a good one!

Comment

I have the Hobart 140 and it will weld anything the above average do-it-yourself welder/homeowner can dream up. I looked at the Millers and while they are a good machine, I just could not cough up another $200+. I weld anything from gauge plate to 1/2" with mine. Get the Hobart, you won't be disappointed.

Comment

I have a Lincoln 100HD wire feed and it had built several tripods, etc. As long as your not trying to weld extra heavy plate, you will do fine.

Comment

I have the Hobart 140 and really like it. You can use gas but I use flux cord the most.

Comment

Working...
                              X